Custom Wood Canopys - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: central nj
Posts: 3
Custom Wood Canopys

If anyone is looking for a custom wood canopy, please let me know. I starting building them myself because i needed a canopy to hold my LED lights that have the extension legs. I can paint them any color or stain



fishtanklife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtanklife View Post
If anyone is looking for a custom wood canopy, please let me know. I starting building them myself because i needed a canopy to hold my LED lights that have the extension legs. I can paint them any color or stain


One thing I see on this is you have the end grain showing on the front face. Your front panel should cover the side panels end grain. It looks better. Also you may want to think about a 1 x 4 instead of a 2 x. Does the same thing but makes for a lighter piece.

Depending on your equipment and skill you could actually use one long board and use a miter cut so the grain is continuous around the entire canopy. But you'd need to be able to do a spline joint.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
lksdrinker's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NY; LETS GO METS
Posts: 1,875
Is the first photo one you built or just an example of a canopy? What are you charging for a custom canopy? Any other photos of what you've built?

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
lksdrinker is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: central nj
Posts: 3
Hi, for canopys to fit a 10 gallon tank it would be $50. For a $20 gallon tank, it would be $60. Plus the costs of shipping. The ones made out of pine are very light and will only cost about $7 to ship. The first picture is an example of one I can build. I can add anytype of decorative trim you like. Anything extra may cost a bit more but I do try to keep the prices low. I can provide more pics later tonight.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
One thing I see on this is you have the end grain showing on the front face. Your front panel should cover the side panels end grain. It looks better. Also you may want to think about a 1 x 4 instead of a 2 x. Does the same thing but makes for a lighter piece.

Depending on your equipment and skill you could actually use one long board and use a miter cut so the grain is continuous around the entire canopy. But you'd need to be able to do a spline joint.

I actually cover the edges in decorative trim peices. I should not of posted this picture but it was the only one I had. I need to wait to get home to post more pictures. I actually did use a 1 x4, not a 2 x
fishtanklife is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtanklife View Post
Hi, for canopys to fit a 10 gallon tank it would be $50. For a $20 gallon tank, it would be $60. Plus the costs of shipping. The ones made out of pine are very light and will only cost about $7 to ship. The first picture is an example of one I can build. I can add anytype of decorative trim you like. Anything extra may cost a bit more but I do try to keep the prices low. I can provide more pics later tonight.

Bump:


I actually cover the edges in decorative trim peices. I should not of posted this picture but it was the only one I had. I need to wait to get home to post more pictures. I actually did use a 1 x4, not a 2 x
Even with the trim the front should cover the sides. After all what is someone wants the clean look? If you follow a system and do all the basic construction the same way when something different comes up (buyer doesn't want trim for example) you don't have to think about it. It's second nature. One other thing to do instead of a 1x or 2x is to plow a dado and use an insert as a ledge for the light and to hold the canopy on the tank. That would lighten the canopy even more yet not sacrifice anything.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
natebuchholz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Even with the trim the front should cover the sides. After all what is someone wants the clean look? If you follow a system and do all the basic construction the same way when something different comes up (buyer doesn't want trim for example) you don't have to think about it. It's second nature. One other thing to do instead of a 1x or 2x is to plow a dado and use an insert as a ledge for the light and to hold the canopy on the tank. That would lighten the canopy even more yet not sacrifice anything.
I don't think he was asking for a critique of his product...
Even though this is a forum, not everything requires your two cents.

Best,
Nate


Journals:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by natebuchholz; 04-03-2015 at 01:58 AM. Reason: edit.
natebuchholz is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator
 
GraphicGr8s's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West coast of the east coast of the USA.
Posts: 4,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebuchholz View Post
I don't think he was asking for a critique of his product...
Even though this is a forum, not everything requires your two cents.
I think he can fight his own battles. He doesn't want ideas to improve his product I think he can type it himself. I do commission work. I always listen to criticism whether asked for or not. If there is something that can improve my product, and thereby increase my profit I am always all ears. But you're right. I shouldn't be giving advice away I get paid to give.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome