what have I gotten myself into haha - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what have I gotten myself into haha

So after joining this forum and making the decision to plant my tank... I must say I am very happy and pleased with the results. No matter how out of hand its getting : ) . With the introduction of a finnex ray 2 and a few doses of flourish a week my plants are thriving and growing. Just wanted to post some pics and maybe get some info or ways to improve. Thanks for reading and looking. The pics start with the tank unplanted... and then go from there. Im sure the growth will be easy to identify hahahahah
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0152.jpg (37.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0155.jpg (36.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0163.jpg (34.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0331.jpg (47.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0330.jpg (49.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0329.jpg (46.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0301.jpg (36.0 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
nice going! great first effort, very pleasant to look at.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice job

Looks, great. I am in the beginning of my first planted tank and hope I share some of your success!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everything was real slow going with the original hood lights. Once i added the ray 2 though and started dosing with flourish about 2-3x a week, the plants started to come alive. The growth is amazing. I can only imagine what a co2 system would do. Brings me start looking at gla co2 systems more in depth now. An aquarium has always been a dream of mine since their so relaxing. But after setting it up originally it wasnt doing it for me. Until i stumbled upon this forum and started looking into planted tanks. It all seemed so overwhelming at first but with maintenance and diligence its really starting to pay off. As the plants get larger im going to start trimming and planting the front to fill it out. But so far im really pleased with the results.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Planted Member

I have the perfect CO2 setup for you if you're interested, and I'm local to you (zip 07747). Complete setup with trusty Milwaukee regulator complete with solenoid and bubble counter, 5lb tank, ceramic diffuser. Truly a plug-and-play solution, would be ideal for your needs. It'll be ready for pickup in a week or so; I'm sending the regulator to a reputed builder on these boards to double-check it for sale and install brand new gauges.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Money is actually super tight right now. Buying new living room furniture. Im not looking to jump into co2 anytime soon. Alot more research on my end has to be done. I greatly appreciate the offer though thank you. If anything changes ill definately pm you though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:17 AM
Planted Member

cool. it'd definitely be cheaper than anything from GLA and serve your needs perfectly. Good luck with the tank!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
yes GLA is very over priced!
you can try the DIY yeast co2 for the time being!

Also are you ever consider changing the sand substrate? your plants will love you if you do :P

I am also local 07747
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I actually changed from gravel to sand. And for maintenance im loving it. I would like to go substrate one day. But not with this tank. I destroyed my biofilter that i built up over months by switching from gravel to sand and in the process had to do a fish in cycle. Thankfully i only lost 2 fish and 1 was because he was sick from the day i bought him. After what seemed like an eternity my biofilter is extremely strong again. It took a long time because every day i was doing a 20%-30% water change as well as a dose of prime every other time. ( i wanted to make it easy and painless on my fish ). As far as the yeast co2 system.. are they reliable ?? Or is it something to just get me by for now ?? And i understand the gla stuff is overpriced but i was actually emailing back and forth with the owner for quite some time. He spent a decent amount of his time explaining things to me... Making sure it was something i actually needed.. as well as sending me links and articles. To me the fact he went out of his way and stands behind his products is worth the few extra bucks ill pay when i take the plunge.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

Do you have bio media in your filter? The media should house majority of the bacterial. Yes the yeast co2 works, it's just that you can't really adjust it or turn it off. My way to work around it is by not using a a defusing, but connect the co2 tube to a power head that's on the same timer as the light. This way when the lights are off, the co2 will come out as bigger bubbles won't defuse into the tank much.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah i actually have a ton of biomedia. But i switched from a hob filter to a large sun sun canister and when i swapped over the hob media it took forever and a day to propogate into the massive canister. But truth be told .. switching to a canister and then just adding a powerhead for surface agitation was one of the best choices i ever made. The fact that i can convert the powerhead into a water cleaner with just a plastic bottle and some floss filter is awesome.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Nice stuff! I live in Edison as well, awesome!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Seems like theres quite a few edison and surrounding area members. Pretty cool and good to know
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 AM
Planted Member

On my 25G tank im using 2 HOB while I have 3 canister sitting there...
may I ask why is it that much better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode