Angelfish Pairs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Angelfish Pairs

OK, I'm at that stage with a few pairs of angelfish, that I need to move them. Normally, I would either separate them, keeping one of the two in a planted 180G and send the other to the LFS, or send both off to the LFS. Not long ago I found a home for a pair, pretty much by accident, and they really did end up in a great home. Shipping adult angels, though I've done it, doesn't have the greatest track record and I'm too tight on time these days to go that route.

So here's the deal: I have three mated pairs of angels

1. Blue Paraiba
2. Green Cobra X Phillipine Blue Smokey
3. Gold Pearlscale X Koi

All three have parent-raised at one point or another, but I can't guarantee results along these lines.

At $25 per pair, I can safely say that I'm more interested in finding good homes for these fish rather than splitting them up. It's not a money thing for me.

So if you want to have a try at raising a spawn, or you just appreciate some truly beautiful and unique fish, this may work for you.

Aside from the cost, I have one absolute pre-requisite: The buyer has to be prepared to dedicate at least a 20H to each pair.

Mated pairs, especially larger fish like these will just wreak havoc on tankmates while in a spawning cycle which occurs about every 2 weeks. They are all currently housed in 20H's and are very comfortable in that size tank.

I'll happily send details of any of the above pairs to anyone seriously interested including pictures.

I can cover a pretty wide area of NJ from Eastern Morris west to the Delaware, and I'll be in several parts of the Jersey shore this summer to catch my son's baseball games.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just giving this a bump. I'm re-doing the stands on that whole side of the fish room and just need to move these fish real soon as I have new pairs forming.

I did get one PM inquiring about compatibility in a community setting.

This one's been kicked around a bunch of times.

This is just my take on that whole question:

I keep a 180G planted display with a whole flock of angels and a few discus. There's at least three pair in the mix right now. With a 6 foot long tank, as long as they take turns spawning, that leaves plenty of swimming room for all the rest. The attacks are never vicious, just assertive and all the rest seem to respect the process. Once the spawn is gone everybody's happy again. Would it be he same in a 29G community? I doubt it. In a 55G community? Depends on the tankmates and the same for any larger tanks.

Angelo

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

One last bump.

Angelo

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I hope you find them good homes. If I live closer I would be coming to get some!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am a few months away from having a large tank set up in our living room for angelfish. I wish I was ready. We got the rooms painted, so now I need to buy the tank. May need to support the floor.

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, two of the three pair are tending to a brood right at the moment.

One brood is much larger than the other and has nipped up the male pretty good, so he'll need some "down time" before I can send him anywhere. He's also fiercely territorial and charges the glass like a maniac when I walk in the room. Loves to see how much water he can splash through the 1/2" opening in the glass tops, lol! I should've separated them a couple of weeks ago, but I was hoping to have a new home for them by now. If I had the time, I would offer to ship them, but this is just a really busy year for me and just can't commit to what it would take for me to pack up fish in the AM on the way to work.

The second batch of little ones is much smaller and now I'm "stuck" keeping them together for about another week it seems. If I try to pull the parents right now, I'll be doing more harm than good. So the Gold Pearl X Koi pair will be with me a bit longer too.

The Blue Paraiba pair however is just starting to go through another spawning cycle and may be the ones that will go to the LFS first. These Paraibas go through interesting color phases. They start with a creamy type body color with black tipped fins. As they grow, the cream color fades to a slight yellow hue around a grey body, but the fish develop gorgeous iridescent blue patches over the head and lower body with a miild dose of pearlscales in the mid-body. They've been great parent-raisers too. I have a bunch of their juveniles to work with down the line.

I REALLY hate parting with mated pairs, but there's limits to everything in this hobby.

Jerry, just let me know when you're set. I always have lots of juveniles and can cover most of the colors in the rainbow!

Angelo

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Sounds awesome, I've always wanted a breeding pair of angels. I have a friend that is up the road from me that breeds them and has had good luck. I always tend to get two males or two females, or something, but I've never tried buying a mated pair before. I was thinking of trying my hand at breeding with a mated pair of electric blue german rams, I know where I can get a guaranteed pair, just waiting on petco to have their $1 per gallon sell later this month so I can pick up a few aquariums and take advantage of their free filter mail in rebate, as long as its a check they mail me and not coupons! Do you have any pictures of your pairs? I'd love to seem them. Right now I have a black veil angel with some blue highlights, I think he/she is really beautiful would love to get it to spawn with another angel fish one day.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

There are a couple of threads floating around about the Petco sale. I had the same question about the coupons vs rebate check. I'm betting it's coupons. The last time around the tanks came with a "sample pack" of Tetra products. I'm thinking the coupon would be a logical progression.

What you describe sounds like a Pinoy angel. One of the "patience tests" with some of the angelfish strains that've been developed is the color phases they go through. If I'm right about it being a Pinoy, I'd bet it looked like a Black angel for some time until the blue started to develop.

Angelo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode