Ely's in Florham park - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ely's in Florham park

Has anyone been here? Is it worth the trip (anything unique about the place)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The only unique thing about the place is the building itself.

It is a hovel, a shack. I am surprised it is still standing.

I was there once. Looked like they had some selection, but not too much. No real plant selection either.

It isn't far from Montclair at all. Take the ride and see for yourself. Geez, I was last there a few years ago so maybe things have changed? Make part of the short ride a trip to to Short Hills mall or grab lunch in the town of Millburn. It will definitely make the trip worth while.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 05:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've known Steve for years. I used to deal with his dad, too. The place may be small, but there's a decent selection of fish. Steve doesn't go in for aquarium plants too heavily, but does do ponds.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras,
Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (19/100%)
I have to agree with Tommy, his fish selection isn't to bad and i haven't had any losses with his livestock so far (e.g. got Otos, Rummys and Neons from him) And he always has Amano shrimps. No quality plants unfortunately.

Cheers,
Jens

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 02:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I work in Florham Park and see that shop every time I go to lunch that way and I never thought it was a shop. I can't imagine how big it is inside just from seeing it from the outside. I thought it was ready to be condemn from the outside....
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

Dropped by this place earlier today and was surprised. They've got a pretty good freshwater selection crammed into that shack. For some odd reason though they keep labeling their rainbows as danios (e.g. furcata rainbow danios). Reminds me of The Pet Shanty down in Scotch Plains but without the non-fish animals. Plant selections are slim but you may be able to find some decent basics if you dig around their lower tanks. Stunned that this was the first time I've heard of the place since I grew up in the area. Definitely visit again whenever I'm back visiting the parents. =)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to antpal01
Steve's a good guy, and stands by his fish. He gets some unique things that you can't find anywhere else - even online. Worth a trip!
Anthony
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Algae Grower

ely's has a good selection of fish and good quality fish IMO. plant selection is restricted to alot of low light level plants i believe. not a top of the line place for plants but i think great for fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode