Trading In plants at LFS? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Trading In plants at LFS?

Which LFS's accept trade ins for plants? Im not sure where I can bring my trimmings to. I called one place and they said they didn't accept them at the time. I'm a little too lazy to call each and every LFS to find out where I can get a bit of store credit. So, if you could kindly recommend stores that I can trade-in my trimmings to I would greatly appreciate it. I hate throwing out plants, im tempted to populate a man made cement pond in a nearby park with aquatic plants...(i think it would look much better and cleaner if i did it too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Where to bring them? That would depend on what part of the state you live in.

Quote:
im tempted to populate a man made cement pond in a nearby park with aquatic plants
Bad idea. Very irresponsible. It seems innocuous, but there is no guarantee the plants would not be transfered out of that pool and get into the local ecosystem and wreck havoc.

Mike
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I live in hudson county so theres alot of stores in range, I just dont know where I can trade stuff in. One of the guys in the Pet Shanty said I could trade in any exotic moss I have, but when I called last I was informed that they were not taking trade-ins at the time. Although, someone else was answering the phone, so the guy (didnt get his name, skinny/tall guy) might still want my trade-ins.

Dont worry, Mike, I wouldnt do that. I was just tempted to since trashing all these clippings are a waste. And besides, if I were to add plants to that pond I wouldn't trust that the toxic sludge floating on top of it wouldnt mutate the plants into some kind of B-movie biological disaster.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
every plant keeper on this forum has the same problem;
-what to do with useful clippings, daughter plants, etc.
you can keep them in a separate tank, containers
in hopes you can trade them, or even sell some on-line.

but you should never feel guilty throwing them out.
think of your extra plants as simple nitrate&phosphate
sponges that are part of your tanks natural filtration,
so just like you'd throw out any spent filter media,
you toss out your plants, or at best, compost them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
Dont worry, Mike, I wouldnt do that. I was just tempted to since trashing all these clippings are a waste. And besides, if I were to add plants to that pond I wouldn't trust that the toxic sludge floating on top of it wouldnt mutate the plants into some kind of B-movie biological disaster.
LOL!

We have so much insanity here in NJ, I am not sure anyone would notice mutant plants!

You can try Absolutely Fish in Clifton. They take plants from me, I would think they would take plants from you, too! Call ahead to be certain.

You could always bring them to NJAS meeting.

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice.

Spypet that is very true, but they look so pretty

Thanks Mike, I will probably try AF this weekend. About those NJAS meetings, do i have to be a member to attend?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:04 AM
Banned

carpen, some other things to keep in mind.

-any common fast growing plant, such as Hornwort, -nobody is going to want. Just throw junk weeds like that out.
-any clippings, even ones that could root or have roots mid stem are junk as well. (unless very desirable)

what people generally want are;
-stems with some bottom roots intact.
-any daughter plants
-any algae/debris free fist full clumps of moss or foreground plants.
-and pretty much anything that's hard to get or just out of season.

if you have any of those plants handy, it's easy to make them available for trades here on this forum. consider that first class mail up to a pound is around $3, and when you send plant samples the weight is half that, or around $2 in postage. so figure;

$2-$3 postage (first class usually 2-3 days)
$1 for a padded envelop, zip lock baggie, paper towel.

So if you charge $5 for a decent assortment of plant samples,
you'll get plenty of takers as long as you take the time to list
the scientific names of everything you plan to include. that
way buyers can look them up on their own to decide to buy.

Obviously, if you want to offer large swords and such,
shipping costs and packing headaches will go higher.
try to keep shipments under a pound or you'll have to
upgrade to Priority mail which nearly doubles the price.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
About those NJAS meetings, do i have to be a member to attend?
Nope.

We have Karen Randall speaking tomorrow.

Quote:
-any common fast growing plant, such as Hornwort, -nobody is going to want. Just throw junk weeds like that out.
NO WAY! People are always looking for fast growing plants when they get new aquariums started. List them for sale as well. Someone will probably want them.

People will buy anything. There is no limit to what they may want....you just never know.

Shipping in padded envelopes via reagular mail may work for some things, like mosses. However, most plants need to be packaged a little more carefully and mailed via Priority mail. That gets the plants there in good shape and quickly. No one likes to receive dead, flat plants.

Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
That gets the plants there in good shape and quickly. No one likes to receive dead, flat plants
I'll tell you a little secret I use to keep padded envelope plants from getting flattened. Some of us here are old enough to still have lot's of VHS Video tapes laying around. I slide those rigid cardboard or plastic tape sleeves off my old tapes, put the plant baggie in them, then the tape sleeve in my padded envelope. As long as the plant does not need to be folded to fit the length of a tape sleeve, it always arrives in perfect condition without boxes and priority mail. the added bonus is i never get hassled by the post office for shipping liquids and plants... I just tell them it's a video tape; they just shrug and move on
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypet View Post
I have to agree with Mike on this. For the longest time I couldn't find any hornwort in this area to help with a "nutrient" overdose from some neglect. (Bad tazcrash)
Sometimes, It's all a matter of timing.

As far as clippings, build up a relationship with a good LFS. All the good places near me know Mike, so he wouldn't have this issue.
I know some places won't just take in clippings from stangers.
If they don't know you they aren't sure what you might be introducing into their tanks.

Walter

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode