Route 22 (The NJ fish corridor!) Long read. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Route 22 (The NJ fish corridor!) Long read.

Ok, so me and the GF did our fish hopping today. We mapped out route 22 from Philadelphia and started out. Here are our findings for today:

1st stop was fin, fur, feathers (Maybe not in that order) the shop was clean not much in the way of fish, but it was a good stopf or the first store we came to. They did have good looking emporer tetras and 1 queen ab. pleco that looked in good health.

2nd stop was Adam's Pet Safari. Not a bad store, they had some excellent large plants and a good selection of short stuff, but nothing we were interested in. They had really nice african ferns but each of the pieces that the employee brought up only had one stem. At 5.99 I wanted a bit more for my money. But the store is worth the trip. We did get 4 really nice pieces of drift wood for 8.99 ea.

3rd stop was Ocean Gallery II, great store for saltwater and freshwater tank busters but other wise not much for the planted tank.

4th stop was the always faithful Pet Shanty. Picked up about 5 different really nice uncommon Tetras (Will post pictures when the tank clears up.) Red dwarf sword plant and a bunch of something that I forgot the name of. Also picked up some neon and cardinals. Oh, if you are into Pelvicachromis, he has two male Humilus, not kolente, but really nice. I was tempted to get them and set up a tank for them tonight! But not more room at the inn.

5th stop was Shark Aquarium. What a store! The tanks were clean. Too many spectacular plecos and what a selection of plants! We got a red spotted shrimp and three different types of hard to find tetras. Picked up some glosso and the last bunch of Rotala, banana plants, and 2 Adolfoi corys. Too many tanks of piranhas!!!!!! Maybe they could use the tanks to bring in more East\West African Cichlids????

What we could not find was TRI The Reef Inc. mostly my fault since I did not note what town it was in before leaving home. We went as far on 22 E as 1-9 and turned around to hit The Shark Aquarium on the way back.

The trip for us may be a monthly pilgramage as long as the stores keep doing what they do.

If any one has any other recommendations for stores in that area, we would love to hear about it.

Last edited by shackscs; 01-01-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:32 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Did you happen to see any adult Discus for sale at those stores (other than Petshanty and Shark Aquarium)?

I got a good sized bag of java moss at Shark Aquarium while I was there as well for about $6 bucks.

I have relatives that live in philly and allentown so I visit that area regularly.

-Russ
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shark Aquarium had some nice adults. But as for the other stores, nothing that stood out.

I used to breed discus, so I would have remembered if anything stood out.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Ahhh...if you do this run monthly, you might have to add another store to your list...

Aaron's Aquarium
1024 Stuyvesant Avenue
Union, NJ 07083

Newish shop - decent setup - we will see where it goes, but it isn't far off of Rt. 22.

As for TRI - next to impossible to spot unless you live around there
It is on 22 West, in Green Brook - the first store you'd hit after passing Pet Shanty on the westbound side - but even knowing that, you will blow right by it.
I can't remember right now the other stores in the same mini-mall as it, but if you want, I will have a look on my next trip in that direction on 22.

If you are ever doing this again and want to meet up - let us know - there are enough NJ folks on this board - and java moss I have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, and yes could please cjeck and see what other stores are in that shopping center.

Have sonce made the trip about 3 times since my last post. Unfortunately the last visit to Pet Shanty left of kind of empty. Plant selection down, selection of fish was down. Overall it was blah blah visit.

Don't get me worng, it is still worth the trip if you are fish hopping, but I think we went too many times in the past month. We need to give them time regroup.

Thanks, and yeah the next time we are going that way, I send you message.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Finding "The Reef's Inc" (TRI) on Rt. 22...

Heading West on Rt. 22 in Green Brook...

First you will pass Harrow's and Value City Furniture
A Toyota Dealer
Britland Auto Body (Big Yellow Sign)
Exxon Gas station
Sleepy's
Saturn Dealer...
You will then be approaching "Tower Plaza" - this is where it is.
The building has a Green Roof.

TRI is on the right hand side of that building as you are facing the front of it.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 03:36 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thumbs up Route 22...

Hi! First post on this forum!

According to the owner, Pet Shanty gets in their plants every two weeks. Last time was Oct 13, 2006, so next time should be next week, Oct 27th...

Didn't know about TRI, and I lived near there for 8 years! Will have to check it out.

Another place to at least look at (if only once) is a garden decoration place further west on 22. It's on 22 West, past the light at King George Ave, but before you come to the Mountain Ave exit. You can't miss the place. You'll see either the wooden sheds or children's playhouses on the lawn. They have a small sign that says "Aquarium" on the sign out front. Go thorugh the office, to one of the sheds in the back, and they have a very clean, if small, aquarium department.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
a let me know if you ever set up a group trip live 20 s of rt22 in Allentown pa so would be e-z for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode