The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cherry Red Shrimp

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  lipadj46 
#1 ·
Hey...I'm planning to set up a tank with just cherry shrimp and java moss. However, I didn't realize how expensive they were! (6-10 bucks each) Can anyone direct me to a LFS or someone who ships shrimp in NJ (it's getting cold)?

#2 ·
Aquabid, but with the cold some places won't ship to you or wont gaurentee live delivery. You may be stuck with LFS untill it gets warmer. :icon_conf

you can try these guys too:
http://www.plant-aquarium.com/en-us/dept_307.html
but with shipping you still end up paying a lot/shrimp unless you plan on getting a lot.

#3 ·
Pet Shanty in Scotch Plains frequently has cherry shrimp for around $3-4 each. They label them "Red Algae Shrimp" but they're cherry shrimp. Look the same and breed the same! :icon_bigg

They also have C. japonica (Amano Shrimp) quite often, although those are labeled "Algae Shrimp." :tongue:

If you have a long way to drive, check their stock list or call them before you go.

Good luck!
--Rebecca

#4 ·
$6-10 for cherry shrimp??? Dang, where are you seeing those prices cause even Absolutely Fish (www.absolutelyfish.com) don't have them for that much these days and they're usually the priciest of the LFS in the Northern NJ area. Although I don't know if they have them at this moment.

If you want to go the mail order route, you can get some from petshrimp.com (who's located in Manhattan) or franksaquarium.com (who's out in LI somewhere). I've ordered from both without a problem before and franks has a hell of a shrimp selection.

#5 ·
talk to vinnymac

vinnymac on this forum sells cherry's. I bought 30 from him and I can tell you they were way less than 6 bucks a pop... I was really pleased with his service and how he packed them for shipping. I saw my LFS was selling cherry shrimp for $7 each... had a thought of going into the importing business with vinnymac as my supplier... LOL.

#9 ·
I'm wondering how fast Cherry's grow. I've had my Cherry shrimp in for about 6 weeks. I put them in at about 1/4 inch long and they all were about the same size. At 4 weeks, I noticed one female carrying a batch of eggs under her tail. at 5 weeks I had three females carrying eggs. This last week (#6) I've seen some 1/4 inch long shrimp. I'm wonder if they are just stunted and from the first batch... or are they breeding in my tank.

I put 30 into my tank and I"ve seen up to 17 at a time. Hard to see in the plants and stuff. I'm pretty sure most of them survived, if not all. I do have a mix of females (bright red) and males (mostly clear coloration with red speckles) with more females than males (could be the males are just hard to see. Also the males appear to be smaller than the females.

Guess my questions really are... how fast do these buggers grow? Can they get to be 1/4 inch long in a couple of weeks? Or is that expecting too much. How old are they at sexual maturity?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.