'Notha one bites the dust - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
'Notha one bites the dust

Drove past Reef Encounter in Hackensack a few days back . Sign on the windows said they're going out of business . Wasn't much left when I went in to check things out .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I have a "Pet Supplies Plus" that opened relatively recent, and they have fish, etc. To be honest, not a fan of these bigger chains, smaller LFS usually takes care of their fish better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Thats another small business gone. Its to cheap and easy to buy stuff off of the internet. Its not petsmart killing lfs, its amazon and fleabay.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I have a "Pet Supplies Plus" that opened relatively recent, and they have fish, etc. To be honest, not a fan of these bigger chains, smaller LFS usually takes care of their fish better.
Me too. I?m not a fan of those chain stores. The local LFS have better selections. Fish town USA in Ramsey has big selection of plants and freshwater fish!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSLA_pi_16 View Post
Me too. I?m not a fan of those chain stores. The local LFS have better selections. Fish town USA in Ramsey has big selection of plants and freshwater fish!
Only been to Fishtown USA once and was unimpressed. They had a decent selection of fish but the prices were on the pricier side. A lot of the plants were in poor shape and were also expensive. If I was ever around the area, I would stop by for dry goods or frozen food because those are decently priced. All of their invertebrate tanks were littered with scuds and planaria. It was kind of disgusting to look at.

Eheim Pimp #351, Classic 2213.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Pet Supplies Plus is not a chain store it is a franchise. The owner is your neighbor not a large corporation.

Now Petco and the rest are chains and I try to avoid them.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Pet Supplies Plus is not a chain store it is a franchise. The owner is your neighbor not a large corporation.

Now Petco and the rest are chains and I try to avoid them.
I was targetting Petco/Petsmart as chains, not PSS.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNo123 View Post
Quote:
Only been to Fishtown USA once and was unimpressed. They had a decent selection of fish but the prices were on the pricier side. A lot of the plants were in poor shape and were also expensive. If I was ever around the area, I would stop by for dry goods or frozen food because those are decently priced. All of their invertebrate tanks were littered with scuds and planaria. It was kind of disgusting to look at.
Have you been to Fish Hut of NJ in Saddle Brook? If you have, what do you think of their prices?
They have decent selection of FW fish but much larger selection of SW fish. On the plants side, they have just one tank of various types of plants. Not much of selection. I think their prices are on the high side. I can tell you that They keep their tanks really clean. The guys work there are very helpful.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Have you been to Fish Hut of NJ in Saddle Brook? If you have, what do you think of their prices?
They have decent selection of FW fish but much larger selection of SW fish. On the plants side, they have just one tank of various types of plants. Not much of selection. I think their prices are on the high side. I can tell you that They keep their tanks really clean. The guys work there are very helpful.
They really specialize in Cichlids. That's where I'll be going to get my Krib.

The Green Stuff
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I stopped by Fish Hut on Black Friday because of their sale and picked up two pairs of Apistogramma Cacuatuoides 'Triple Red' for $42 before tax which is a great deal on Apistos. Not much else in their store interested me unfortunately. Their plant selection was mediocre and I'm not a huge fan of any other cichlids or large fish. Their Tropical fish selection is pretty much on par with Petsmart/Petco. They also carry a variety of shrimp although they're way overpriced. However, they do carry a lot of dry goods and have a decent selection of hardscaping materials and a decent price. Their dry goods are obviously more expensive than what you can get online, but if I was in a rush and needed something, I'd most likely go there and they would probably have it. One interesting thing to note is that do they sell feeder guppies, which I've never seen around the area. Their frozen foods are a tad cheaper than Absolutely Fish in Clifton, but are more limited in selection.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNo123 View Post
I stopped by Fish Hut on Black Friday because of their sale and picked up two pairs of Apistogramma Cacuatuoides 'Triple Red' for $42 before tax which is a great deal on Apistos. Not much else in their store interested me unfortunately. Their plant selection was mediocre and I'm not a huge fan of any other cichlids or large fish. Their Tropical fish selection is pretty much on par with Petsmart/Petco. They also carry a variety of shrimp although they're way overpriced. However, they do carry a lot of dry goods and have a decent selection of hardscaping materials and a decent price. Their dry goods are obviously more expensive than what you can get online, but if I was in a rush and needed something, I'd most likely go there and they would probably have it. One interesting thing to note is that do they sell feeder guppies, which I've never seen around the area. Their frozen foods are a tad cheaper than Absolutely Fish in Clifton, but are more limited in selection.
Do you know how much the pair is if it wasn't BF?

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
Drove past Reef Encounter in Hackensack a few days back . Sign on the windows said they're going out of business . Wasn't much left when I went in to check things out .
Oh that makes me sad. Reef Encounter was one of my LFS since back in the 80s. (one of my first jobs was at Pisces Aquariums in 89 just down the highway from them that was a competitor). I followed them to I think 3 or 4 different locations. I think at one point they even had a second store for a few years in Edgewater (or maybe they had moved there at one point before they moved to their first spot in Hackensack. I can't remember).

Checked their FB and it says they are retiring. I hope it isn't because of an illness or death.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Do you know how much the pair is if it wasn't BF?
Males are $20 and females are $12. Pairs are $26. They carry a lot of other apistos too but I went specifically for the Cacatuoides so I didn't look too closely at the others

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Speaking of TFS that have closed...I just found out that Tropicarium in Ocean,NJ shut down last week. I work up the street from it and I didn't even know they where closed. The owners retired according to Facebook.

I have to drive at least 45 minutes to NNJ to get a to a decent TFS now.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherminator View Post
Speaking of TFS that have closed...I just found out that Tropicarium in Ocean,NJ shut down last week. I work up the street from it and I didn't even know they where closed. The owners retired according to Facebook.

I have to drive at least 45 minutes to NNJ to get a to a decent TFS now.
That's crazy, they were my go to store growing up. I'm surprised they didn't just sell ownership to someone else to keep the store running. As far as I know, there aren't any other decent fish stores in the area

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode