Getting Out of the Hobby - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Getting Out of the Hobby

Does anyone in NJ know of anyone exiting the hobby and has a large tank they are trying to unload? I currently have a 50 and 30 gallon that I am trying to consolidate into one large planted tank. Any leads will be greatly appreciated! I can also find a large used tank on craigslist but have never resealed. So if anyone has resealed and would be willing to help is also appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why do you think the tank needs to be resealed?

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Great question. I always assumed if a tank is older than 10+ years (most of what I see on craigslist is the oak looking frame and stand) the silicones lifespan maybe coming to an end. With the constant stress or water pressure, fish, and cyclical temperature changes. Though the silicone maybe weakened at some point.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My 125G has been running for about 15 years now and will be moved to the opposite corner of the basement Friday with no plans to reseal.

If there's visible damage / abuse , there's more than a few good YT videos that describe the process better than many paragraphs here.

The outter silicone beads (the ones you can feel) have one purpose: to protect the inner silicone beads (the ones you really can't see unless they are failing and white patches of separation are starting to show).

In a nutshell, you reseal when there's a know reason to. Simple age isn't one of them.

Angelo

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quite helpful. The 180 gallon I saw on craigslist and saw in person the silicone has aged for sure and seemed to have ripped apart in some spots. Additionally, the top aquarium brace has seemed to have sagged a little bit due to the heat given off from the fluorescent lighting. Should the top brace be a concern for me in terms of the tank bowing or not so much?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

T5 bulbs can get pretty warm, but they would have to be resting on the brace to make it warp. My bet is the tank was a reef at some point and Metal Halides were part of the lighting scheme at some point. I would ask the question of what type of lighting was used. It would seem the best option is to replace it. Even if it isn't cracked yet, I would bet it's brittle. In this case I think being proactive can save you a headache down the road if it cracks when full of water. LFS can order them for you pretty cheap. YT can help with this too.

Here's your worst case scenario: this was an iguana cage with a heat lamp over it = reseal and replace the top trim. Ask questions.

Angelo

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am assuming the iguana worst case is due to the fact that the iguana may have chewed on the silicone at some point. The light fixture that comes with the tank is a generic long strip fluorescent light hood that sat over the tank. I could inquire further but it seems like the woman's husband did all of the aquarium care and maintenance. Think they are divorced or he passed and she is getting rid of some of his things.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
FWIW, I stored a 30 gallon glass tank for 13 years and it held water just fine when I recommissioned it.

You can always request a fill test prior to purchase if it is a concern. If the iguana was chewing the silicone, then yes, the tank may need resealing.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

All very valid points. I think I am only stressing because the fiancee thinks it is a bad idea to get a used tank. So in my mind I am like "well watch me get this tank and as soon as it is filled it bursts and leaks all over".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel12490 View Post
I am assuming the iguana worst case is due to the fact that the iguana may have chewed on the silicone at some point. The light fixture that comes with the tank is a generic long strip fluorescent light hood that sat over the tank. I could inquire further but it seems like the woman's husband did all of the aquarium care and maintenance. Think they are divorced or he passed and she is getting rid of some of his things.
Used tanks all have a story behind them. The more details you can get the better picture you'll have of how the tank will do for you. I've bought Petco tanks that leaked right out of the box. The hobby offers no real guarantees. The 180G in my den was bought used and has been running for 7+ years now. The Iguana question comes from the animal's claws. Same for turtle tanks. A few simple and straightforward questions should never be a problem. If they are, walk away.

Angelo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode