The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Beginner Starting a 20gal long.
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
alyssaanne

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Beginner Starting a 20gal long.

Hey guys! This is my first post on this forum so a little intro first: began keeping tanks around a year ago. I'm a betta person and its it's a quickly growing obsession. My first tank started evolving to planted a few months after I got it and now I have 2 five gals and a 3 gal bowl planted. I've been planning this new 20gal for months and I finally have it set up! I'm a complete beginner to a tank this big, so I would love advice here and just to track it's progress. I will especially need advice with aquascaping. The details: low tech, miracle grow organic capped with black sand and some leftover eco complete, fluval m100 heater (got it on mass clearance. Hope it's good), buying a filter today (can't remember the name. changed my mind about the fluval u2), homemade raised light holding two ottlite 20 watt plant bulbs (made out of a gutter, jb weld, black spray paint and two 75watt capable work lamps from homedepot). Plants: Amazon swords, creeping Charlie, bocopa (?), anubius nana, red rotola. Also bought cherry hedge on accident. Hoping I can return it. I bought WAY too many plants....I figure I can just remove them as they grow and give away/sell. Especially when I want to replace some of the big swords with more interesting plants. Planned fish: school of cardinal tetras (captive bred), cories, my mystery snail Fargo, and one of my lucky bettas (whoever does best). We'll start off with just that. Pics will be up later!

Ps: don't really know ferts well. Do you think with this setup I will need something in particular, or do I have to just wait and see? I own flourish. Do I need anything else? Thanks!

*EDIT* FOR PICS AND TO SAY THAT NIKO THE VEILTAIL GETS THE TANK!

I'M AWARE I GOT WAAAAY TOO MANY PLANTS. LOL

Tank is still cloudy in all pics. This is day two on setup and day one on fish.
Just to show where it is:

Last edited by alyssaanne; 05-05-2014 at 12:59 AM. Reason: adding pics

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome