The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - [s]low tech vs high tech experiment[/s] Now just low cost, hi-tech plant shenanagins
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
burr740
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
[s]low tech vs high tech experiment[/s] Now just low cost, hi-tech plant shenanagins

Planted roughly the same time in two different tanks. Thought some of you guys may find this interesting, plus I wanted a good way to track the progress of everything, so I figured just make a thread on it.

Tank 1 - my main (and first) 75 gallon plant tank. On that Im running two T5HO, daily Excel @ 1.5x recommended dose, no CO2. So probably on the low side of medium light, 8 hour photo period. Ferts are weekly Flourish Comp, a liberal application of Osmocote+ root tabs, and a heavy bio-load. Link to a journal link is in my sig.

Tank 2 - 20H, running two 23W 5000K CFL's, mounted vertical in aluminum dome reflectors, approximately 1" off the surface, so high to possibly very high light, 8 hour photo period. DIY CO2. Same fert regime (although Im prepared to go full EI or PPS if deficiencies start showing up)

Substrate in both tanks is 100% Black Diamond blasting sand, 3-4" deep.

OK, now let's get down to business!

First plant up: Ludwigia Grandosa

Kopped six stems of this wonderful looking plant 4 days ago. Planted 3 in the 75, and 3 in the 20.

Here they both are, 4 days later.

Im going to make a few consecutive posts of different plants, that way the thread doesnt become a nightmare to load. Depending on the level of interest it generates, and the responses, I plan to keep this updated with progress reports.

Also I would be very interested in seeing pictures of these same plants in anyone else's aquariums, regardless of tech level. So please dont be shy about adding pics, advice or knowledge regarding anything. Primarily Im here to learn and have fun, and trust me when I tell you, I have a whole lot to learn! Thanks for having a look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by burr740; 05-19-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: nfo

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome