What are the rocks like? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
What are the rocks like?

Hey there. My sister is driving down to Missouri tomorrow, what kind of rocks do you have there? Are they aquascaping-worthy? I realize you have igneous rock there, which is a good type of rock for aquascaping, but is it sharp and characteristic or round and boring?

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
With the right plants and placement, the round rocks can look great! Check it out:

Original thread: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ss-10g-20.html

Like every place, it depends on where you look for the rocks. TBH I would personally do the rock hunting my self. You'll be able to see the rocks in person at that moment, so you can decide which ones to take or throw. Plus you can save yourself from making her feel bad if you end up not using any of her rocks she found.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Swimz$ View Post
Hey there. My sister is driving down to Missouri tomorrow, what kind of rocks do you have there? Are they aquascaping-worthy? I realize you have igneous rock there, which is a good type of rock for aquascaping, but is it sharp and characteristic or round and boring?

Depends on what part of Missouri your sister is going. Missouri is very diverse and we have a lot of red granite in the southern parts of Missouri. I actually just picked up some a couple of weekends ago for my planted Edge shrimp tank. And it depends on where you get it. If you get it out of a stream bed, it will be rounded from being tumbled, but if you get it from a road cut, it is very sharp and angular. That's where I got mine. Your best bet for igneous (ie granite) is down in the Ozarks (South of I-44), there is a lot of plain ol' limestone from I-44 North.

Hope that helps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
She was at the very tip of Missouri, she said she didn't find anything.

Thanks though! Oh and Pinoyboy, that tank is very nice but not the style I'm going for.

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode