My recent experience with tropical world pets. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My recent experience with tropical world pets.

So I headed out today on a whim to do some window shopping. I have yet to move into my house (still a work in progress) and have no tanks set up. I kind of went down there thinking "we'll just see what they have" because I know their plant selection hasn't ever been that great, and I've never really "made friends" with the owner or managers or anything.

Anyway, I start to peruse the fish selection, and they're pretty picked over (It was black Friday today anyway) but I keep seeing names. Cool names. Like "celestial pearl danio" and "chili rasbora" and "badis badis". They had some checkered rasbora and threadfin rainbows, and some bomb explitve shrimp. I thought it was kind of cool, cause all of those fish are on the "to do someday" list for me. Their plant selection was pretty bad. Still doing rock wool pots full of Florida Aquatic Nursery stuff, and had thrown the "dying" or older plants into a DEEPER tank that were marked 50% off. I bought some marsilia quadrifolia and some monte carlo from that tank, I think I can bring them both back in the emersed setup.

Anyway, so I keep browsing around and figure out that they no longer stock salt water. Which to me seemed exciting.

I keep poking around and what would you know, I see a Mr. Aqua rimless tank! I was like "oh man I bet this is going to be waaay more expensive than amazon"... wrong..... wrong wrong wrong. They have the deep blue professional 12x12x12 cube for $44. Even with tax this is way cheaper than amazon prime.

So I caved, and bought it to match my spare 12" light.

I talked to the guys up front, and they mentioned that they want to do more nano stuff, with more small but interesting fish. The salt water section is going to be turned into that sort of thing.

Also, they had dragon "ohko" stone, and I mentioned that it was pretty cool that they even had it, and the guy at the counter said they are going to order a bunch of serieu stone in the next couple weeks.

I'm pretty excited about the direction they are going, but dont know whats going to happen with their plant selection, surely theres a better way to sell them. I think they ought to run co2 on their flora tank and see if they can get in any of the aquacultured brands rather than florida aquatic.

Definitely going to be stocking my tank with their fish though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Algae Grower

Hello!

We just recently started a planted tank so we're new to TWP. We've had pretty good luck with fish from them and finally got some cherry red shrimp (every where else is out until 2017) but like you, we're completely underwhelmed by the plants.

It's good to hear they are planning to do something with the old saltwater section, it seems like it's been just sitting for a few months (at least) now.

We've gotten all our plants from Aqua World, not Ellisville and Gravois. They are higher priced but seem to know what they are talking about. One guy (Matt, I think) is good at plant layout and aquascaping, so he's been a big help.

Despite that, I'm hoping to start a betta tank later this winter and I'll probably try and order plants from people here. STL isn't the biggest fish store Mecca.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to hear about TWP... I've always been underwhelmed. In the St. Louis area it seems difficult to find a fish store which isn't saltwater or isn't Cichlid based.

I will give that Aqua World does a good job, but man their prices.

St. Louis, Missouri

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I used to work at Beldt's when it was open and even OUR plant selection sucked.

I wonder if it would be worth it to set up an emersed farming thing in my basement and sell to shops. Problem is, it probably makes more money to sell online.

All of their stuff comes in emersed anyway, most if not all of the big operations that stores buy from are like that. Pet land out in of allot had locally grown submerged growth stuff for a while from their fish manager but they pissed him off and he left for a saltwater place.

I haven't been to Aqua world in at least a year and a half, and I remember going in and not buying any plants because I couldn't help but think about how much cheaper I could get them for online, even with shipping. Probably a decent place to pick up hardscape though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

Aqua World doesn't have much by way of hard scape, very little wood. They do have rock... Tropical World has more of both.

We have bought all of our plants at Aqua World and have had no issues. No melting or acclimation issues. And they have been very helpful with picking plants and discussing placement.

I do plan on ordering plants from members here for the betta tank I want to set up.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I'm always torn about places like aqua world, they obviously do a good job and take great care of their stock so I want to buy from them... but then I see prices with German Blue Rams at $27.99 each and silver and marble angels at $18.99 each and I just can't come to grips with it.

It becomes even worse with schooling fish.

St. Louis, Missouri
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
Planted Member

I think your best bet for buying plants locally from a store would be Aqua World soon after they get a shipment in. I was amazed at the condition and selection of plants at the Gravois store in October, then two weeks later many of them had deteriorated. TWP is a good store but plants aren't a priority. I don't think they are much of a revenue stream at any store, IMO, so I don't blame them. I have had success selling locally through Craigslist and FB - I almost always have people looking to buy and I have hardly ever had to throw away clippings in the past several years. I've never been to a MASI meeting, either. I have a 155-gallon tank with about 20 varieties, so feel free to contact me if you want healthy plants that have been growing submerged.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

We just got some great looking plants at Aqua World Gravois today. Our tank seems to grow crypts really well and they had some great looking ones!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Besides AW and TWP, any other suggestions on LFS's? I'm in South City so those two are relatively close for me, but willing to go out of my way a bit for another decent option. Working on a new build of a 55 (only have the tank as of now). Need a stand for it and was really unimpressed with what TWP had.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol. over here the shops try and keep plants in unlighted tanks, they eventually yellow and loose all their leaves.
But the owners will complain about the quality of the supply .

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think Coralsnmore in St. Charles is fantastic.

There is other across the river in Illinois that is decent, Aquatic Treasures.

Both are primarily saltwater stores, but keep a nice stock of freshwater and both are willing to special order for you. I know Coralsnmore and I think Aquatic treasures both have individual filtration on all their tanks, so sick fish on infect their tank mates and not the entire supply.

St. Louis, Missouri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode