The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - A beginner's first 75G
View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Farm Fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fish sucked into the overflow

So here's a problem I can use some help with:
My tank has a built-in overflow at the top left. It's got a little plastic grate that's adjustable to set the water level. The grooves are about 3/16" wide and I've already lost at least one fish into the filter. I've found that when I feed them (flake), some food inevitable travels to the overflow and gets hung up on the grate. THe fish then swim up to eat and if they're small enough the can get sucked through. I've seen a larger minnow get pulled up against the grate but it was large enough to not go through and it wiggled free and swam away.
The problem came when the smallest "rosy red minnow" disappeared and I'm sure it went into he filter as it was definitely slimmer that 3/16" wide. THe fish only cost about 12 cents from the feeder tank, but of course since it was the smallest and pinkest it became my 5 year old daughter's favorite. Tragedy.
I'm thinking I'll put some filter foan in fron to the grate to keep the small fish out but I don't want it to get clogged with debris and overflow the tank. I also don't want to have to clean it more than every couple of weeks since it's in a difficult place to reach.
Any advice out there?
I plan to get some neon tetras and other small fish down the road so I'd like to get this resolved before spending more on fish..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-07 19.05.11.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	286946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-07 19.05.41.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	286954  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome