my first new 80g dirted tank :-) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Red face my first new 80g dirted tank :-)

What do u all think and any pointers would be great :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04653.jpg (78.7 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Traditionally with dirted tanks you want to start out with LOTS of plants, like 80%+ ground cover. Also include some floating plants. This is to get some control on the massive amounts of nutrients dirt provides, so as not to have an algae outbreak. A lot of times, people will throw in a bunch of stem plants and floaters just for the beginning to accomplish this, until the plants they really want grow in, then take the stems and floaters out.
Grats on your start though, and good luck!
P.S. I have plenty of frogbit if you'd like some, and wanna meet up in the Northampton area...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink Thanks

Thanks for the offer but northhampton is about 50 min from where i live :-) for some frogbit but i do wish i had some im in need of some lol i did plant more plants since the picture for example some sprite and more durf grass i did order duckweed from ebay for 3 bucks waiting on that and i have witch im so excited about by the way a madagascar lace plant i bought from petco very lil and dying i planted it and it was dying in this tank even worst i moved it to my shrimp tank and OMG its going got green and its growing im so excited!!!! its in a plastic container in the lil fish tank but with Fluval Stratum Substrate it was expensive but omg well worth it im actually thinking of removing the dirt and sand out the 80 gallon tank and replacing with Fluval Stratum Substrate i did the math thats about $250 but i think its well worth it :-) what do you think??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've only used dirt for planted tanks, so can't speak on other substrates, except that I feel dirt does just fine and don't see a need to personally spend loads of money on the fancy ones...
I also have a buddy that simply uses a deep gravel substrate with an UGF. No ferts, just plenty of fish and food providing nutrients to the plants, and they grow beautifully.
So again, I may be cheap, but just don't see the need for fancy, expensive substrates...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

your right but only if you see how nice this stuff is it just looks great and works great i might just stay with dirt tho we will see
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Algae Grower

I second on Qwe, but if you need floater, I have duck weed, water lettuces and a little amount of riccia fluitans and naja grass. I am located in Sturbridge,

if you are free next week Tuesday around 7:30pm, check the Worcester aquarium society.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking Question

i would be free on tuesday where would you like to meet id love some plants :-)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
My 2 cents on the stratum is what i've seen in person is in about a year it breaks down to what you could imagine kitty liter looks like submerged after awhile. A wet dust bowl. It's clay for the most part, that is formed in a die, and heated to dry.

If your proactive in meddling with your tank like a lot of us, once it breaks down, the cloudy mess becomes annoying. If your set on the look the mr aqua version seems to hold up better. Just some food for thought :-)

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wink CrypticLifeStyle

thanks for the advice very helpful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode