• 3 Post By SueD
  • 1 Post By coralbandit still
  • 2 Post By redpaulhus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Discus

Anyone know any local breeders? I setup a 110g just for discus.
Any local sources for wild caught cardinal tetras? They seem to be impossible to come by now. O.o

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not aware of any breeders in your area, but you might consider Discus Hans in Baltimore, Ma. who is arguably one of the very best high quality discus importers in all the U.S. Check out his website.

He imports well-known and popular Stendker bred discus from Germany, and has an excellent rep for supplying healthy well-shaped discus of various strains & sizes at reasonable prices, and would readily ship to you in Boston, probably overnite.

After finding out what you'd like by way of strains, colors, and sizes, he would show you pics by email and you could select specifically the exact fish you'd like to have him ship to you.
He may also be able to supply, or provide a reliable source, for getting Cardinals.
coralbandit still likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Considering a german variant of red turquoise. I'll check him out thank you.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 04:12 PM
Planted Member

Hey stranger,
Uncle Ned has wild cardinals in stock almost every day (we actually sold out last week, first time in ages we had none other than "albino").
I think he orders like 400 at a time lol
New batch should be here any day now if they are not in already.
He also has a bunch of discus coming in shortly (check his Facebook page or the fishfactory website for details of what's available if you want him to order a specific color or pattern)

I'm there every Saturday if you wanna swing by and kibutz

Red
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

https://www.facebook.com/16864225981...4577677557990/
Cool little story from Project Piaba (buy a fish save a tree).
This is why Ned favors wild Cardinals btw
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:07 PM
Planted Member

New Discus a few hours after they arrived monday:
https://www.facebook.com/unclenedsfi...34543623228062
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaulhus View Post
Hey stranger,
Uncle Ned has wild cardinals in stock almost every day (we actually sold out last week, first time in ages we had none other than "albino").
I think he orders like 400 at a time lol
New batch should be here any day now if they are not in already.
He also has a bunch of discus coming in shortly (check his Facebook page or the fishfactory website for details of what's available if you want him to order a specific color or pattern)

I'm there every Saturday if you wanna swing by and kibutz

Red
I wish I had this fish store local to me. _
Excellent stock lists on wild fish.

I ever so often look at the availability lists for Neds-- which I think are just as good as Wetspots-- but, Im in California, so just look.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post

I ever so often look at the availability lists for Neds-- which I think are just as good as Wetspots-- but, Im in California, so just look.
They better be -- one of our preferred wholesalers is Wetspot's wholesale sibling (same owner) - we especially love his asian fish stock, great nano fish etc.
But we also have a wholesaler for farmed rift lake fish, one for wild west african fish, and another for wild and farmed new world species.
its a fun place to work

Cryptic used to be one of my regular customers at a store I worked at before Neds, until that store moved (twice), went saltwater only, and then became a tank service company instead of a LFS. when I was running that dept I was trying real hard to remake the fw dept in Neds image lol.
haven't seen him in person in years sadly.

Which was why I found it amusing that he was looking for wild cardinals since I personally end up selling at least a few dozen every Saturday. and that he was looking for Discus right before we got a new shipment in.

we are doubly blessed out here - there are a number of fish clubs in driving distance, and the Boston club has deep ties to the New England Aquarium, and the NEAq has very deep ties to Project Piaba. Back when I was getting to club meetings regularly (and regional conventions annually) I used to get to see a talk on the status of Piaba at least every 2 years.
Buy a fish save a tree !
Discusluv and Desert Pupfish like this.

Last edited by redpaulhus; 02-20-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: accidental addition to post
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post

Looking at a stock list is one thing, but then seeing the actual fish is a bonus. Living about 10 mins from Uncle Ned's, I've been a customer there for about 17-18 yrs. Well maintained, healthy stock and friendly, helpful staff.

Haven't been there for a few months, so this discussion has spurred me to pop in over the next few days. I've got some room for something, I think
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 06:32 PM
Algae Grower

I got young Santarem discus now for sale .
The parents are Hans discus and nice fish .
These guys are listed in my sig or on aquabid ..
One day I will get to Neds ! I first spoke to SueD about them maybe 7 years ago on another forum
Good fish for a long time is special ..
Plus 1 to NEC meets and auctions.
I just went to PVAS auction last weekend in Chicopee Mass .
redpaulhus likes this.

Got rams ?
Here's what's for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
How was the PVAS auction? I had to work and missed it ):

RAOK Club #55
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
How was the PVAS auction? I had to work and missed it ):
I enjoyed it.
I hung out with a friend who used to work at Skipton's pet in Boston with me over a decade ago. sometimes the social aspect of the auctions are more enjoyable than the livestock - always great to see fishy friends in person.

I sold some wild type livebearers, red ancistris fry, and plants.
i bought a bag of peacock gudgeons and a huge bag of crypt. wedntii (which came from my friend oddly enough) as well as some odds n ends.

Overall it felt like a good turnout. seemed to be alot of people for the # of lots compared to some of the other regional auctions lately, and felt like more of a sellers auction than a buyers deal-fest (prices were competitive overall rather than scary low )

it felt like a good mix of plants, "community fish", new world cichlids, old world cichlids, livebearers, catfish and inverts.
Didn't feel like any one species was overwhelmingly represented in the lots.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaulhus View Post
They better be <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:-)</a> --
Cryptic used to be one of my regular customers at a store I worked at before Neds, until that store moved (twice), went saltwater only, and then became a tank service company instead of a LFS. when I was running that dept I was trying real hard to remake the fw dept in Neds image lol.
haven't seen him in person in years sadly.

Which was why I found it amusing that he was looking for wild cardinals since I personally end up selling at least a few dozen every Saturday. and that he was looking for Discus right before we got a new shipment in.

Buy a fish save a tree !
<a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png" border="0" alt="" title="Big Grin" >:-)</a>
Moved 8x since the woburn store, got out of the cichlid game for some years due to moving so much. I live by the cape now, I have had a hard time getting myself to drive up that direction haha

Due to Ned probably the only one selling them, it's probably going to have to be the option. Everyone has gone captive bred, and the local box stores never have them.

As far as the Discus go, I'm still probably 2 months out from buying them. I haven't completed my plantings yet, or added the schooling fish.

PM'd you a number of times...

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 02-25-2020 at 11:41 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 PM
Planted Member

sorry about the PM's.
for some reason I don't get any sort of email notification when I get PM'd here, and my last few day jobs had severely curtailed my online forum time, so I didn't know you had sent them.
Popped in here on a whim recently to see if anybody had posted a notice about the PVAS auction, and saw this thread.
I did PM you as soon as I saw this.

glad to see you're still in the hobby.
I need to take down most of my fishroom and remodel (insulate) the basement this summer so I have just a few tanks running at the moment.

I understand about the drive.
one of our best angelfish breeders/supplier lives down around Hyannis and its a llllongggg drive for him so I don't see him nearly often enough.
if you are near the Kingston area I am pretty sure that's where Lovely Pet moved and I thought that they also got Piaba cardinals in.
Ditto for Nano Tank down on the South Coast.

Did you see the little clips I posted last week on Ned's facebook page of the new discus ? they are sweeeeet.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

One of my jobs is down the Street from Lovely Pets. So I've poked in a few times, but I haven't been impressed with selection or prices, and I don't want to sound like I'm knocking them. Steve is a good guy, and he's surviving, and they are a good place to go to, I'm just picky, and resourceful. The cardinal tetra selection has always been captive bred from Vietnam anytime I've been in, and at their price point, (which is usually avg in comparison to other mortar stores to be fair) I find it too expensive to justify for the quantity I need.

It's always this fine line of wanting to support local business, and not wanting to get too crazy on the markup spending too. When I know I can get what I want, shipped for less then half the retail price It's a hard sell to myself especially when we are talking hundreds of dollars before Discus. The last time i saw Ned's prices via FB they seemed nice and cheap so I'll probably head up that way when we are all back to normal again.
I've been home for weeks already quarantined, I'm ready to drive a bit.

The wholesaler you know, I won't mention by name also has only had captive bred.

Quincy aquarium I've had some good luck at for some fish, but again, captive bred source's, and his supplier list's don't offer wild caught.
Petsmart hasn't had them in years which I thought was odd given their support for the project initially, and the other big box store has never offered them.

Long term for the discus, is breeding, and I'm stuck between going F1 style, or go German red turquois route, so the selection is a big factor, and I doubt it'll be soon.
I have zero interest in mixing variants together. Not my thing...
I want to get the other fish in first, and settled before adding discus.

I want to knock out the 25>30 cardinal tetras, and 25>30 rummey nose tetras first, then some peacock gudgeons 6>8 (maybe), whiptail cat, still on the fence for corys.

I'm starting a 400>600g Geophagus tank at the end of the summer, so I'll be sourcing for those as well at some point, and a blue eyed pleco.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode