Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society Auction 19FEB2017 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society Auction 19FEB2017

Cross posting again....

Next Sunday is the PVAS auction. Tons of locally bred fish and the plant selection is (was) starting to grow over the past couple of years. Qwe is on the West Coast now and no longer involved in the club, so I am not sure if that has been waining since I have not been able to make it to meetings.

It is a good time and the bidding wars can get intense for some of the larger rare fish.

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Indeed, I don't know how the plant selection is without me there, I dread the thought! I miss these auctions though... there's hardly any club activity on the west coast
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's rough, you two did a lot to get PVAS running smoothly and getting the online presence up to date.

I'll let you know how it is looking next weekend.

How are things out in Oregon (other than the lack of clubs)? You start school yet? Have half a million tanks up and running already?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The plants did drop off a bit. Plenty of java moss (for slightly less rediculous prices, mostly) and duckweed (WHY????). The usuals like jungle val, dearf sag, and java fern. I ended up getting Azolla carolinania. In the bag it looked like a floating mat, this isn't going to be much better than duckweed. At least it looks waaay better. A nice dark green and red with a really cool texture. I just need to eming myself it is good surface cover for the Bettas.
There was a guy vending plants that had a decnt selection. Noting crazy, just a bunch of nice Anubis and Crypts with a few other random plants.

Tons of hardware donations this year. Ended up with an RO unit, for less than half, which will end up coming in handy for my new acquisition, more than just for the pico reef. I ended up getting six Betta rubra, a wild type Betta. They come from fairly low pH waters, well, they were collected from low pH water which was a manmade situation, but it seems to work so I'll stick with it. I've been considering breeding Bettas because I am tired of seeing the poorly bred $3-5 fish in the pet stores but have been really interested in wild types. I guess splendins will be put on the side burner for now.

The auction was quite a bit smaller this year. The tables were sparse compared to years past. Everything was done by 4:10. Everybody has been saying the economy is getting better, but I've been noticing small things like this all over the place. People are cutting back on their hobbies, the things that require continuous small cash inputs are tapering off.
Anyway, looking forward to the TFSRI auction next weekend. We'll see how that one pans out.

[EDIT] After looking at the TFSRI flier, I realized why the PVAS may have been smaller. With TFSRI following so closely and taking only a $3 cut per lot instead of 50/50, some people may be holding stuff that would have normally gone to the PVAS auction. I'm pretty sure I rmember a longer gap between the two auctions in the past.

I usually feel kind of guilty using the quick reply... my replies are rarely quick.

Last edited by Beer; 02-20-2017 at 04:53 AM. Reason: To edit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, school and such have made me pretty busy for the most part, so I tend to forget to check the forums :/

TFSRI always made people wanna save their bigger stuff because of that small cut, and it definitely used to be more spread apart... But you seemed to get some pretty awesome finds, grats! Do you remember if that plant vendor was Han? I tried to get him involved in the club a bunch, but was never successful...

We're living in a trailer out here, since it's temporary, so setting up tanks isn't really all that feasible. That being said... I have a 2 gal hex and a 10 gal that I'm hoping to fill within a month or two. Still have some Wet Spot gift certificates from PVAS auctions, hoping to get some plants and such. School, while busy, has been awesome; lots of aquarium-related stuff! Already receiving some interest from potential employers in the industry, too!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is awesome! Glad to hear that you already have potentioal employment opportunites. Trust me, I know all about school taking a priority. How many times did I drop off the face of the Earth? It was always disappointing that the PVAS meetings didn't happen for the few months a year that I actually had a little free time.

I wouldn't figure that you would stay tankless for too long.

I don't believe that the vendor was Han. I bought some plants from him a few years ago and didn't recognize the vendor. There were a few people back behind the table though, so he could have been there but I moght have missed him.

I was looking for Han on here, but it doesn't look like he has been active. I was looking for a few things, but I think I am going to change direction anyway. I ended up with three wild type Bettas that I am going to start breeding (rubra, imbellis, and smaragdina). I think I'll end up setting up the breeding tanks with Buce. I found a place that does tissue cultures and has a ton of Buce and a few things I have been trying to acquire again.

Yeah, the auctions are too close together. PVAS one weekend, TFSRI the following, and two weeks later is the NEC convention and auction. They all seemed a little smaller this year. Shrimp and plants were going for big money. The Cichlids and big fish seem to be tapering off a little bit.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tissue culture buce? Who is selling that? That's one thing I've been thinking about trying to get the school involved in, since it is one more thing to learn about...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode