Seiryu Stone FS around Worcester? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seiryu Stone FS around Worcester?

Really limited when it comes to Pet shops in Worcester, Mostly Chain stores and one half decent one in Auburn but theyre usually too expensive and dont have Seiryu anyway.

Anyone in Worcester have extra for sale? Only looking for about 5-6lbs
Also looking for fluval stratum or the asain equivalent substrate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Seiryu Stone has been illegal to export from Japan since 2008. I don't know how much of the real stuff is truly out there still for purchase, but be careful what people sell as Seiryu Stone. Just a friendly heads up.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Seiryu Stone has been illegal to export from Japan since 2008. I don't know how much of the real stuff is truly out there still for purchase, but be careful what people sell as Seiryu Stone. Just a friendly heads up.
Very interesting. Must be some counterfeit stuff out there then.

They do say Seiryu Style stones in at least one place. Seiryu stones aquascaping rock

Jerry Smith Bloomingdale, NJ, USA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 Gal Tanganyikan Biotope:

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
so.. the NA distributor for ADA stuff is selling fake seiryu or illegally importing stuff?

Seiryu Stone (10 lbs per order) [106-812] - $39.90 : Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano

What's your source on it being illegal to export from Japan since 2008?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
what is mrbluepanda in these forums selling then? O.O is the stuff counterfeit?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoczukxx View Post
what is mrbluepanda in these forums selling then? O.O is the stuff counterfeit?

most seiryu are misidentified as ryuoh rock and sold as seiryu. They look like seiryu, but are gray as seiryu are more blue.

even if a stone has stopped being exported, it does not change anything about it being recycled around or if someone has bought a whole stock load of them prior to the ban of exports. So it's definitely possible real seiryu is being sold around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Ryu stone is sold at a LFS by me for $3 a lb. It looks very similar to Seiryu as Ebi noted..

-Mikey G
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
Ryu stone is sold at a LFS by me for $3 a lb. It looks very similar to Seiryu as Ebi noted..

yep, they're all so similar, same with ying-shi rocks, supposedly the same as rock as seiryu except from China.

generally, they're pretty much all alike, except seiryu being actually from "Japan" and being used by guys like amano in their scapes, which makes their value to be higher to people. In the end.. they're all nice looking rocks with similar features except seiryu being more on the blue hue with some calcite inclusions/jagged/sharpness.. but I suppose some feel they need what they think is "authentic" stones.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Seiryū stone was name inspired by azure dragon. It has a blue tint to it, and came from outside of kyoto. The area of harvest is now a park, therefore harvest, and export are illegal. Most of what you see now under the label of Seiryū is not blue tinted, and imported from china to japan, then exported out. How much blue tinted stone do you see out there? Not much from what i see.

By doing so it is legal to label it as Seiryū stone. Like olive oil imported from italy (as an example), it's actually from greece, but packaged, and labeled in italy which allows it to say from italy.

Seiryū stone is now loosely used terminology for similar characteristic rock which allows sellers to keep the price high, and maintain it's mystique.
That's my issue with the labeling of rock.

If you go to japan, and go to a store, and buy rock, it's illegal to bring it back with you. It's considered "organics" , and falls under customs laws of japan.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode