The Planted Tank Forum banner

EI dosing levels using Seachem products

11K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Raymond S. 
#1 ·
I know using dry fertilizers would be cheaper, however I am wondering if anyone has any information on what size doses of the Seachem product line would give me nutrient levels on par with EI dosing levels. I know of a couple calculators but I am not sure about the results I am getting. Any calculators or conversion charts that will give me the correct Seachem doses to use as applied to the EI dosing schedule, including a weekly 50 percent water change? Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Thanks for the information. If I am reading the numbers correctly there isn't any way I can afford to dose EI levels via Seachem products. Not remembering the particular Seachem product but one of those calculators advised dosing 101ml. Does that sound correct?

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
There does seem to be a problem. In fact, I just noticed this while checking my calculations for a project. The calculator I recommended suggests 101ml of Flourish Phosphorus to raise PO4 to 1.3ppm. Yet Seachem's calculator reports 59.3ml. That's a huge discrepancy.

Seachem's page for Flourish Phosphorus advises "The beginner dose raises phosphorus by 0.05 mg/L (0.15 mg/L phosphate)." The beginner dose being 2.5 ml per 80 liters. So...

2.5 / 80 = 0.03125

Which is 0.03125 ml / Liter to raise PO4 0.15ppm

55 gallons is 208.1996 liters

So 0.03125 * 208.1996 = 6.5ml

6.5 ml will raise PO4 in 55 gallons to 0.15ppm

if we want EI dose of 1.3ppm

1.3 / 0.15 = 8.666

8.666 * 6.5 = 56.333

So 56.333ml to raise PO4 levels in 55 gallons to 1.3ppm

This is about what Seachem's calculator reports as well (actually 59.3ml) . Must be a problem in the petalphile calculator.

#10 ·
From Seachem Web site:

BEGINNER: Use 2.5 mL (half a cap) for each 80 L (20 gallons*) once or twice a week or as needed in response to signs of phosphorus deficiency (e.g. stunted growth, plant dark green). EXPERT: The beginner dose raises phosphorus by 0.05 mg/L (0.15 mg/L phosphate). The ideal phosphate level will vary, but generally ranges from 0.15–1.0 mg/L. Use MultiTest: Phosphate™ to monitor phosphate levels. To target a specific phosphate increase, dose according to the following formula: 0.8vp=m, where v= volume of tank in gallons*, p=desired phosphate increase and m=volume of product to use in mL. For example to raise 20 gallons* to 0.1 mg/L phosphate you would use: 0.8*20*0.1=1.6 mL.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Total Phosphate (P2O5) 0.3%
Soluble Potash (K2O) 0.2%
From potassium phosphate

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that they report this 2 ways.
One way is phosphorus.
The other way is phosphate.
About 1/3 of the phosphate molecule is actually phosphorus.

Double check which way the other calculators are reporting things.

#17 · (Edited)
If you are using injected then it's "extra" but may help in the algae aria as it's known to reduce it.
To that extent, it may help in the beginning stages of setting things up and the waiting till the plants get growing well period.
It does break down into CO2 or carbon so it won't go to waste. Dose about one hr before lights on as it only last 24 hrs but
doesn't do much of an good after the plants shut down after lights out.
BTW shrimp don't like it(when used in excess amounts) so use as directed if you have them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.