In search of more LFS in MD - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
In search of more LFS in MD

I am searching for more options other than House of Tropicals within 1 hour of baltimore. not looking for anything in particular, just a place to browse, obviously plants are a major factor.

some places ive come across that i may try;
Go Fish LLC
Todays Pet
Toms Tropicals

if anyone has been let me know! and if anyone has any other LFS you go to with plants.

My tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

CTE aquatics. In Timonium.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I live near the Today's pet in Columbia/Elkridge and stop in maybe once a month to poke around. They have some plants, but not a whole lot, just a few here and there.
In late spring and early summer this year they had 2 large tubs full of pond plants outside.

That said, by the checkout they do have a nice planted display tank... So someone who works there knows their plants.

As for tank plants, buying from others on the forums here, or HoT are my go-too sources, although I have a some crypts I bought at a petsmart once.

This weekend I'm planning to go to a GWAPA (MD/DC/Va club) meeting for the first time and see what all goes on there. From what I understand, they have a plant auction where members bring in bags of plants from their tanks (among other things) to be sold.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was just about to post something about Today's Pet until I saw your post. LOL. How does one become a member to GWAPA ?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can join online, by mail, or at a meeting...
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/join/

I joined their forums, which is free and gives you read-only access to some of their "public" forums, and perused for a few months. Very recently I joined online so I could see more of the forum and post. I paid by paypal, then a day later emailed the website administrator. Another day later and I had access.

They seem to a small organization of local folks that seem to do this in their spare time, so the response time isn't instant.

That said, I'm very new, so perhaps not the best reference on how best to join...

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
This weekend I'm planning to go to a GWAPA (MD/DC/Va club) meeting for the first time and see what all goes on there. From what I understand, they have a plant auction where members bring in bags of plants from their tanks (among other things) to be sold.
Did you end up going to the meeting? Ide like to know how it is. I have thought about joining myself. not to sell any plants but possible buy here and there.

My tank journal

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I enjoyed the GWAPA meeting..

It was pretty informal, at a member's home (locations rotate to different people each month). The host has some interesting partial automation setups (water change & fertilizer) for her main tank and gave a presentation on them. This meeting was reportedly on the smaller size, about 15ish people by my estimation. According to other members the can get up into the 40's for large meetings.

I ended up buying some subwassertang at the auction, and there were quite a few bags of plants and some equipment auctioned off.

Outside of the presentation/auction there were some time periods for general chatting with members, and I had several interesting discussions about tanks, co2 setups (I'm considering starting it for tanks), etc.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Another two I'd like to add to the list are Rick's Fish & Pet (Frederick, MD) and Aquatic Creations (Urbana, MD).

Rick's always has a lot in stock; be it fish, dry goods or plants. The plants selection is pretty decent for a local shop and Rick is willing to order things and keep you up to date on what he can get when you talk to him. Some stuff can be pricey, but plants are in clean tanks with no hydra's or disease. The fish are in great condition!

Aquatic Creations is a neat little shop. The owner has an interesting personality and can be stand off-ish when you start talking numbers, but that's because his business was hit hard with internet sales which almost closed down the shop. He's gotten more competitive with pricing, but with his low volumes of sales (due to location) of larger items (such as tanks and canister filters) he can be a bit pricey. If you're ever looking to get into reef or start a Koi pond, this is by far one of the places you need to go first!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can't forget

That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA (if you don't mind the drive)

or

Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, MD (not a ton of plants)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRX7 View Post
Can't forget

That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA (if you don't mind the drive)

or

Tropical Lagoon in Silver Spring, MD (not a ton of plants)
TPP is a great place to go, but it is a drive! Tropical Lagoon isn't a bad place to go, I've seen odd and ends there that most other stores don't carry in their live stock.

Unrelated, nice to see another car person on here @RyanRX7

|||
|||
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not a LFS, but there is the monthly meeting of the Capital Cichlid Association this Saturday, at 2 pm. More info here:

http://www.capitalcichlids.org/index.php?

There are usually some plants in the auction, as well as a wide variety of fish and equipment.

Last edited by MChambers; 10-06-2015 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added url
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Congressional Aquarium in Rockville isn't bad at all. I've been in there several times over the last couple of month's and I'm always impressed with their selection. Their prices used to be really high, but I find them competitive now. My favorite is still House of Tropicals though. There was a shop in Alexandria but I'm not sure if they're still open. Might be kinda far for you too.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

@tuffgong, are their prices more competitive because they have lost local competition (so there is no one else around them to compare prices to due to the store in Wintergreen Plaza closing to move to Frederick as a Reef Shop and TFW going under?) or competitive to online pricing?

|||
|||

Last edited by Tihsho; 10-09-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: details
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I'd say just more competitive in general. They used to be grossly overpriced, but I would say they are inline with HOT in Glenn Burnie. I'm not sure exactly what caused the change. I do know the staff in there are really cool. I've stopped in there on my lunch break just to see what was in stock and talk to the staff.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Algae Grower

I think I have been to every LFS in the greater DC/MD/VA area. There are a few that fell by the way side over the last couple of years and it is a shame.

I typically go to HOT and TPP. I have only recently converted over to all FW Planted (formerly a REEFER) so the search for quality plants and FW equipment has been a google/ebay ect type search for me rather than at an LFS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode