In search of more LFS in MD - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:06 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quantum Reefs off 495 is an amazing place. I came across it one day and decided to check it out. It has a decent selection of plants as well even though they are mainly saltwater. Definitely worth a trip to check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 11:26 AM
Algae Grower

I live in DC. Starting back up after about a 10 year lapse and finding that most of the places that I used to go for plants and fish are gone.

Looking to start up a smallish <40 gallon rimless, glass tank with LED lights and CO2.

Tropical Lagoon seems to still be there. Even though it was pretty seedy I used to stop by regularly since I worked nearby in Silver Spring. The best place was just east of Baltimore. I have forgotten its name. It was a huge store that was in an older shopping center. I see no sign of it now. Is it even worth walking into a Petco?

Looks like everything has gone online?

My last tank was a 70 gallon converted reef tank with a sump, CO2 and florescent lighting. I might consider buying used again and remodeling. CraigsList?

Best,
Paul
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
I live in DC. Starting back up after about a 10 year lapse and finding that most of the places that I used to go for plants and fish are gone.

Looking to start up a smallish <40 gallon rimless, glass tank with LED lights and CO2.

Tropical Lagoon seems to still be there. Even though it was pretty seedy I used to stop by regularly since I worked nearby in Silver Spring. The best place was just east of Baltimore. I have forgotten its name. It was a huge store that was in an older shopping center. I see no sign of it now. Is it even worth walking into a Petco?

Looks like everything has gone online?

My last tank was a 70 gallon converted reef tank with a sump, CO2 and florescent lighting. I might consider buying used again and remodeling. CraigsList?

Best,
Paul
You can also try Congressional Aquarium in Rockville. They’re pricey but they typically have it all. Chico’s Natural Pet Supply has some stuff too. Not big like Congressional but they got some things. I did visit a few spots in the Baltimore area last year and they were good. Never went back cause it’s too far of a drive.

And depending on what you’re looking for, Craigslist sometimes has some good stuff. I’ve gotten shrimp and plants off of it before.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The best place was just east of Baltimore. I have forgotten its name. It was a huge store that was in an older shopping center. I see no sign of it now. Is it even worth walking into a Petco?
Hello Paul, always nice to find another person in the area on the forum!

You are probably thinking about House of Tropicals in Glen Burnie which is still there and has by far the best selection of plants in our area. They do not have the equipment to keep the plants super healthy however so getting to them when they get in new shipments or at least within a few weeks of getting a new shipment is relatively important. They also sell tanks including rimless. They may or may not be able to order a specific tank for you (never tried to ask though if you do please let us know). I was there about a week ago. At the time I did not see a 40 gallon rimless though they had others slightly larger and much smaller.
mourip likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I think that the store I used to go to was in Randallstown but seems to have changed to wholesale ...if I am googling the same place.

I am currently just trying to catch up on the tech but once it seems safe to venture out of my house hope to try out some LFS's. I remember going to Congressional. Sounds like they have expanded. Hope they can survive this unsettling new life we have.

Best,
Paul
WillR1496 likes this.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks for the replies and the welcome. I think that the store I used to go to was in Randallstown but seems to have changed to wholesale ...if I am googling the same place.

I am currently just trying to catch up on the tech but once it seems safe to venture out of my house hope to try out some LFS's. I remember going to Congressional. Sounds like they have expanded. Hope they can survive this unsettling new life we have.

Best,
Paul
If you go to Congressional, see if a guy named Dave is working. He's the best for questions. Not saying everyone else is not knowledgeable, but he's always been honest with us and he recently got us out of an issue we had with our 30g. No other LFS has been able to do that. Good thing with him is that he's very up front and won't BS you. He'll tell you how it is.

Only thing about Congressional is that they are pricey. But they have a lot to choose from.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot.

Not feeling too frisky about shopping right now but they will be my first stop.

Best,
Paul
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
There is a nice new LFS near Annapolis, Londontowne Tropicals. Not that I'm recommending you go shopping now. I don't know if LFSs are closed by the governor's order today that non-essential businesses close. (In Delaware, pet shops are apparently essential.)

Edit: Just looked at the Maryland order and pet supply shops are allowed to be open.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Currently we are aging in place...a lot!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 10:03 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillR1496 View Post
If you go to Congressional, see if a guy named Dave is working. He's the best for questions. Not saying everyone else is not knowledgeable, but he's always been honest with us and he recently got us out of an issue we had with our 30g. No other LFS has been able to do that. Good thing with him is that he's very up front and won't BS you. He'll tell you how it is.

Only thing about Congressional is that they are pricey. But they have a lot to choose from.
My wife and I went there yesterday, I think that the Coronavirus has taken it's economic toll on them. The plants looked terrible and unkempt and our sales person did not know what Buce was. I did buy 4 plants but out of many they were the only ones that looked well. I got a crypt, a sword, and two anubias. Over priced seems to cover it but my tank is setup now and I need some biomass for cycling.

I have more plants ordered online but now face buying fish. I do not think that I would go back to Congressional.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
My wife and I went there yesterday, I think that the Coronavirus has taken it's economic toll on them. The plants looked terrible and unkempt and our sales person did not know what Buce was. I did buy 4 plants but out of many they were the only ones that looked well. I got a crypt, a sword, and two anubias. Over priced seems to cover it but my tank is setup now and I need some biomass for cycling.

I have more plants ordered online but now face buying fish. I do not think that I would go back to Congressional.
Things have changed since covid hit. The last time I was there they barely had anything. The manger said he had to cut back on his ordering cause business slowed down a lot. I also witnessed what you saw with the plants. I've purchased plants from them before but just a few like you did. They typically only keep the most common plants in stock from what I've seen. As far as sales people, I only deal with Dave. When I had an outbreak in my tank I was told what it was via Facebook. When I mentioned it to a sales guy, he had no clue what I was talking about. I went back a week later when I knew Dave would be there and I started explaining what was going on and he finished my sentence and told me what he thought it was and I was like "YES!" Then he said how nasty that stuff could be and gave me tips on what to do. he also gave me this bacteria in a bottle that helps get my parameters in check and sure enough, it worked. Dave always keeps it real with me which I appreciate. he always looks out for me.

As far as prices. I can't disagree with you there. They're real expensive compared to other spots I've been to that aren't privately owned. Even privately owned shops are a little cheaper. I only get harder to find fish there cause I know after I pay shipping fees with an online spot, then it'll come out to the same price.

if you think their bad on prices then never go to Vienna Aquarium & Pets in Leesburg, VA. They make Congressional look cheap. Their fish are beautiful but not worth that price.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

I'm just back into the hobby. I've been going Congressional, though it is overpriced. That said, I picked up a 20" Fluval Fresh and Plant 3.0. The fish room is nice. The main plant tanks are OK, mostly a vast array of swords, vals, and Anubias, but there are usually TC cups by the counter with some interesting stuff. I picked up some R. macrantha mini red this past weekend. They have shrimp too.

I found some stuff at Tropical Lagoon which is a hole in the wall but has a tank packed with stem plants. The owner didn't seem to want me to linger, likely because of COVID.

Good to hear House of Tropicals is worthwhile. Back in the '90s I worked at Aquarium Center in Randallstown and we had a dim view of them.

I was pleasantly surprised at Petco across from Congressional. They had New Life Spectrum food, bags of dragon stone and seiryu rock, marimo balls in cups, the whole Seachem Flourish line, and I left with a tiny 1g Aqueon cube for $15 on sale to scape. There were some grim looking plants in tubes - I don't know whether they were salvageable and didn't care to try.

By the way, the guy at Petco mentioned a DMV plant group that sells/trades cuttings but Google is not turning anything up for me. Is anyone familiar with this?
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

The plants that I bought at Congressional have turned out well but they were literally the best 4 choices there.

I bought 8 Silver Tipped Tetras and some Nerites from Tropical Lagoon that have turned out well also.

To be honest I am now doing online ordering from Aquatic Arts and find them to be great. With shipping they are not cheap but the stock is very good.

I miss the Randallstown store. Now that had everything!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode