• 1 Post By WillR1496
  • 1 Post By Wobblebonk
  • 1 Post By Tiger15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maryland Aquarium stores

So, I just got back into this hobby this year after (maybe) 8 years without a tank. I went around the Baltimore area looking at shops, and I had 2 positive experiences. The 1st was https://www.luckyaquarium.net/ these guys had some amazing freshwater fish, mostly aggressive and fish for large set ups. It was very cool to walk in their shop with my family. However, I was looking to start a basic community tank for my daughter. They were kind enough to recommended House of Tropicals | #1 in Maryland for fresh water & salt water fish So, I called before I came, naming off fish I wanted to start with & they said "yeah, we have that". I though I was just talking to someone very busy because I hadn't been able to find anything I was looking for around the Baltimore area yet. Turns out, they did have (almost) everything I was looking for. I plan on returning to continue to stock my tank next payday.

So, I thought this might be good information to have up . Maybe I can save some of my footwork to another new to the area or in the area & new to the hobby.

I would love to here from MD locals that have a spot they would like to share.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Last edited by sittinglynx; 05-10-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: typeO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
HOT in Glen Burnie has been my goto.
They are on Facebook and post when new plant shipments arrive.
Not really setup to grow plants there, just to sell and plants sell quick.

The names escape me but there is a LFS in Timonium, Rockville, and somewhere just outside of DC on Georgia Ave.
A few others without a store front but if you don't know them it ain't happening.

Where are you located?
sittinglynx likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I drove from Arlington, VA to the Baltimore area to see what I could find. I visited 3 locations and didn't like 2 of them. The last stop was House of Tropicals and I made my purchases there.

Another place is Congressional Aquarium in Rockville, MD. They're pretty pricey there but they know their stuff. They have rows and rows of fish. Both freshwater and saltwater. This is my go-to spot for certain things.

There is another place in Silver Spring called Tropical Lagoon Aquarium. I haven't been there yet, although I want to go. I've only spoken to them on the phone when I was trying to get a price on a 10g setup. If you read their reviews, people claim they're great there.

Wet Pets is also another spot in Silver Spring. Never been there either.

Try and find some local fish clubs in the Baltimore area. You'd be surprised what people have to sale or can even point you in the right direction. I've found many breeders by doing a search in my area. Now I have contacts for plants and shrimp. And I get it much cheaper than what I would pay at the store.
sittinglynx likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

HOT is the best one around here I think, though there's some around Frederick that I've been too lazy to try out. Tropical Lagoon is alright... Congressional is fairly pricey yeah, but I did get ludwigia white for super cheap there one time (it looked terrible so they gave it to me for almost nothing, same problem as HOT not really set up to grow plants just move them.) Generally HOT has a better plant selection.

Is it becca? heh
sittinglynx likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Planted Member

Lucky Aquarium is great if you are into tank busters and FH, selling similar fish as Beltway Aquarium, which has moved to a new location off the beltway. The store is located in warehouse area of Baltimore, only a couple years old, and is going through expansion.
sittinglynx likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm in Gwynn Oak (west Balt) I tried the store in Timonium & saw part for my old Magium 350s there. It wasn't a bad store at all. I'm also familiar with the Rockville store because I transplanted from Arlington Va years ago.

Bump: I moved here from Arlington VA, LOL I used to go to a good store in Annandale, VA before I moved, but its gone now. You'd think that area would have a good shop with how build up it is.

Bump: Lucky Aquarium didn't have anything I needed, but a very cool store to walk into and look around. They were very friendly too & helped me find HOT. Cool people.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode