The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - The Windowsill Collection
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I noticed yesterday evening as the setting sun light hit the pico cubes juuust right.. I have a huge growth of hair algae on my marimo?!?... [censor] how do I treat hair algae and not kill marimo which is itself an algae?! ARRRGHHH

Unfortunately the cats realized I cleared the winter holiday decor from the low bookshelf that lets them reach the windowsill and I came home Sunday afternoon to find a good bit of the tomato's leaves missing. Monday was worse but I came back with a Terra-cotta pot and replanted it then blocked the 'jumping platform' to keep cats off. The tomato only has about 1/3 of its original leaves now.. I'm hoping it will bounce back. Still using Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix and watering with water taken from the 55 gallon. I'm looking into aquaponics and thinking of setting something up over the 55 to grow the tomato but nothing is set yet, still researching and asking around from a few experts. (camera wants to focus on dirt not tomato.. grr)

I've removed the mosses from my 10 gallon as my newest plants hogs up the space they were temp filling so now I need to either get rid of the marimo's hair algae and cram the moss in there, or clean up the plantlet grow out cube and slap them at the bottom of that one. For now the plantlet cube is still just a floating blob of tiny java fern (and some renegade moss fronds). (10 gallon mosses no pictured)

I added some new additions to the sill:
Two small bowls trying to revitalize hornwort which the pleco mostly ate in the 55, and forgbit which simply hasn't done well under a hood, or in cold water... I suspect the hornwort will bounce back, but probably not the floater.

I also grabbed and scrubbed an empty vase I found in the house and moved my Argentina swords there. They've still not grown back to full height but they got great roots for such tiny plants. I'm hoping the MGOPM base (capped with gravel) will kick start them more than the root tab did. Unfortunately I put too much soil in so I might gut and re-do the vase in a few days so the sword has more room to grow before it hits the surface. Still a bit of floating soil, need to do a few more water changes.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome