The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 3 Gallon Tank Cycled in 3 Days?
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
I don't know about mystery snails, but I've had pond, ramshorns, MTS, and mini-ramshorns develop pretty big populations during the cycling process.

I think snails (at least those...) are pretty tolerant of crappy water conditions.

And, what are you using to cycle your tank, I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

I think it's very unlikely to establish a sufficient bacterial colony in that amount of time, usually it takes at least a couple days to get the ammonia processing ones established, and then quite a bit longer to get the slower-growing nitrite processing ones established.

The only other things I can think of is if you used some media that was already established, used some sort of bacteria-in-a-bottle that worked exceptionally well, or you have some plants sucking up the ammonia (but then you wouldn't see nitrates...)

+ on snail durability, have pond snails that could survive a nuclear attack... wall lethal ammonia and extremely lethal nitrate levels. I agree with the others, its not cycled, you haven't given enough food for the bacteria to grow yet. I'd check you tap and even consider having a second test it to test nitrates (or take to a lfs that tests for free) my tap comes out at 10-20 nitrates (can't tell on api test card). I've also had 3 bottles of nitrates and one gave much higher readings (for same water at same time) as the others aka faulty test solution.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome