The Planted Tank Forum banner

2.5g High Tech "Simplicity" (Pic Heavy)

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  NanoDave 
#1 ·
I've had the itch yet again and snuck another tank into my 700sq ft house. This makes number 11 and hopefully we'll be moving soon so I can have an in home work desk again to showcase it better.

Went out and bought a 2.5G Deep Blue and de-rimmed it.

Spray painted the back with black rubber waterproof paint and filled it with a light bottom layer of Laterite and capped it with Activ-Flora.

Attached the Fluval Nano LED, ZooMed 501 Canister Filter, Ista 45G co2, and a Deep Blue Heat Stick.

Washed out the gel from the dwarf hair grass I purchased at PetSmart (great buy).

Placed the tank in it's little cubby, filled it, and did a co2 test.

The next morning:

Overall I'm very happy how this nice this came out. I plan to get the grass to carpet the whole tank then add a small moss tree or two. This tank once established will be used to breed shrimp most likely. I'll be sure to make a tank journal for this build to keep track of it's progress.

Thanks for looking

See less See more
#6 ·
Washed out the gel from the dwarf hair grass I purchased at PetSmart (great buy).
Wow you got that matt at petsmart? I want your store by me! Mine sucks for plants.

#9 ·
Yea, we only have 3 Petsmarts in the whole state of RI but the two I've been to are great. I used to live in NJ and they were everywhere! I find RI's to be a little better than NJ's though.

I'll be taking pics this Sunday to see the progress. So far it looks almost the same. Little die of but not bad for emersed to submerged.

#18 ·
Sorry for no updates here. I've been keeping a tank journal of this tanks progress in the tank journal section here:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=519497&highlight=

I'll post a duplicate of the tank week by week shots here as well per request:
Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Starting to notice a little new growth and more of the dead spots fading. Will be sure to update next Sunday.

#20 ·

Starting new fert dosing this week and feel I might have overdosed a tad as algae is starting to become visible. I've put a few ramshorn snails to help keep it at bay a little and breed for food for my puffer. Will be putting in some shrimps in a week or so hopefully once the fry get a little bigger. Will be sure to update next Sunday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.