Is there anybody out there? - The Planted Tank Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
Is there anybody out there?

Just trying to see if there are any planted tank people around. This forum was once the one to go to, but it has seemed to have been dying. So where you at at where are you going?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Over the last 10 or so years most kids have stepped away from forums and have used social media instead. Social media to them is faster even if the information is less accurate.

Many leading forums for many hobbies of mine have slowed down, people arent jumping to any new forums they just arent using them as much in my opinion.
splattered likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is a very strange post.

This forum is not dying, in fact- we have been here. Where have you been?
JoT, Leeatl, Thelongsnail and 2 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 12:49 AM
Planted Member

It also doesnt help that we are being hit by popups right and left right now due to an issue with the forums advertisers which is making it very hard to make a single post. I had to reload this page twice to make this post. Which isnt exactly very appealing to attracting new members... ugh.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Ben3721,

Why not use something like Adblocker Plus or Ublock Origin? I use both with Firefox and see no ads or pop-ups at all.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Maybe I'm a little old school but I greatly prefer forums over social media...but I recognize that many more people are using social media these days so I'm kinda forced to use both.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The traffic has decreased a lot on this forum since I first discovered it. There are still plenty of planted tank people around. If you have something specific, maybe try posting in a more general forum. You're posting in the local Colorado forum and leaving out the rest of the world.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
.. You're posting in the local Colorado forum and leaving out the rest of the world.
Actually, it's the Kansas sub-forum. Which makes it even stranger, since no one posting is even from Kansas
JoT likes this.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

This forum isn't dying, but it definitely has lost something. I'm in NY and that sub-forum was wildly popular .. until they all went to FB. I prefer this forum but even I'm not as active as I used to be. I'm a long-time member so I was here to see the rise and the fall in popularity.

Have you succumbed to the pleasure of Multiple Tank Syndrome? I feel your pain!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

a Toto reference, lol
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I too prefer forums but whether itís the longer form nature (which I prefer as it lets us get in depth) or that the interface isnít as clean and modern as apps, forums definitely seem to be on the decline unfortunately. I donít use FB and begrudgingly use Instagram, but i find IG is very surface level and curated pics.

I feel like reddit is a good compromise, itís got good activity and you can get a bit deeper but has more modern UX: r/PlantedTank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Algae Grower

Hate deep Fake Buke. I troll several forums. WA Fish Box, MFK, shelldwellers, the cichlid forum and here.

The harbinger of doom to the wicked but the fragrance of life for the hopeless. Napalm
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibebian View Post
I too prefer forums but whether itís the longer form nature (which I prefer as it lets us get in depth) or that the interface isnít as clean and modern as apps, forums definitely seem to be on the decline unfortunately. I donít use FB and begrudgingly use Instagram, but i find IG is very surface level and curated pics.

I feel like reddit is a good compromise, itís got good activity and you can get a bit deeper but has more modern UX: r/PlantedTank.

I tried Reddit: r/PlantedTank --but, didn't care for it. ( Same with Facebook, Instagram). It may have a more modern interface which appeals to many, but I could not get it to work for me. With "work" I mean give me the satisfaction that I receive from a forum type format. I need the feel of "a community"- no other interface gives that to me as well as a forum-based model. Not saying that others cannot find this on social media, but it is not the format for everyone.

Im also tend too be very long-winded.

I believe that when you answer someone's request for information, for instance, in a post about fish health/illness- you tell the whole story: when, why, how, - not just what. Look at Facebook and you will know what I mean. Someone posts a picture of a sick fish and you get 5 different 2-3 word answers ( Its Ich! That is columnaris! Thats fungus!).

I can rarely help someone out with a picture alone. It takes questions to find answers, not just pictures.

While its true --overall --that forums have lost many to social media type apps/formats, this does not make them a "dying" format. That implication irks me.

Why? Because there are a large group of people that have/do consistently come back to this forum daily ( sometimes several times daily), weekly, monthly, for the last 3 years Ive been on TPT. We know each others aquarium struggles, successes, projects. Some of us even go further- we communicate regularly through PM to get to know one another or even visit with one another beyond this virtual format.

This forum is still a living, thriving community. It may have lost some members to social media-- but, that doesn't mean it has lost its value.

Amy
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Algae Grower

Well worded Discusluv!

I agree that the more successful and dedicated hobbyists generally stick to the forums in my experience. Facebook, pinterest, etc. are chock full of nice pictures and auto-generated content. You definitely get quicker responses, but they're mostly regurgitated from something else. Not a tailored solution.

The funny thing is that while the forums can be a bit slower (interface and more time spent reading responses) some social media platforms actually take up more time. It's easy for me to spend an hour or 2 on facebook but I usually don't come out of it with a sense of "I helped someone or learned something myself".

I'll stick to forums for the time being - though I'm by no means saying that will be the case forever. There's plenty of regurgitated content and people refusing to do any research themselves so they post the same questions over and over hoping for the typical social media response "Fix your algae issues forever with this one simple trick".
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Totally agree @Discusluv ; I didnít mean to say that there is no more value in forums, just that theyíre not the primary method to access community these days and Iím saddened by that. But I still do come back from time to time as I still prefer them, and Iím glad others continue to find value. Maybe they wonít die but just ďevolveĒ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode