The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Water Parameters
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
samwoo2go
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Water Parameters

I used to use de-clor tap water in my tank for fish only. I've recently switched the tank over to RCS and CRS. The water were not ideal when I dropped the shrimps in and I've been doing weekly 25% WC with RO water (not reminalized) to bring the parameters into range. Everything is going well except that GH is dropping faster than KH and PH seems to have stalled. Can anyone explain to me what's going on please? Water parameters over 3 weeks below.
Ammonia, nitrite = 0. Nitrate = 10

RO Water Parameters
KH: 0
GH: 1
TDS: 12
PH: 6.6

Initial Tank Parameters
KH: 9
GH: 10
TDS: 280
PH: 8.2

After 1st change
KH: 6
GH: 7
TDS: 220
PH: 8

After 2nd change
KH: 5
GH: 5
TDS: 150
PH: 7.5

After 3rd change
KH: 4
GH: 3
TDS: 120
PH: 7.5

As you can see the GH is dropping a lot faster than the KH for some reason (I do have some hard water build up along the top edge that might be re-dissolving into the water) I am not too worried about the KH. But I really want to get the pH under 7.

My plan right now is to start re-mineralize RO water to GH 5 for all water changes and just let the other parameters slowly fall into their place. Sound plan?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fraternity of Dirt member #140

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome