The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - custom tank and custom filter setup
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
mfo20
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
custom tank and custom filter setup

hi everyone,

I am planning a new tank setup and wanted to share my idea and seek advise and opinions.

the setup consists of two tanks, one being the display tank placed in the living room, the second smaller sized tank will be the filter tank placed in the room adjacent to the living room. It's not really a sump concept but I would rather call it a master/servant system.

Both tanks will be at the same level with the intention of having exactly the same water level in both tanks. the display tank will be connected to the filter tank by means of two diam.50mm pipes. The filter tank will have a kind of hamburg filter mat setup. water flows from the display tank to the filter tank by gravity (communicating barrels plus the suction of the return pump) trough the filter mat, then trough some ceramic rings or other chemical media, then trough a fine filter mat into the last chamber where the return pump, heater and other stuff can be placed. the filter tank will have an overflow drain and a water change drain also. the main idea is to have minimal disturbance of the display tank, and to do the maintenance from the filter tank. water change happens by opening the water change valve and let the water just run into the drain. then fresh water can be added back into the filter tank via an ordinary plumbing system. this could be automated in future with solenoid valves, timers or float switches or aqua controller or any other computerised system.

I have attached a quick sketch off the setup.
Display tank will be something between a jungle style amazon tank and a Dutch planted tank. I tend to overstock or at least try to maximise the number of fish the entire system can handle. That's why I added the second chamber with ceramic rings in the filter tank. a true hamburg matte filter will not need it but I am not sure if it can manage the bio load?

I hope the sketch explains better then my one thousand words above.
Has anybody tried something similar before and what was your experience with it?
Any thoughts and comments are highly welcome.

thank you all and enjoy reading the forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	245033  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome