New to Planted Tanks, First Time Cycling! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Planted Tanks, First Time Cycling!

Hey guys! As the title says, I just filled my first planted tank. I'll put the specs below::

-- Generic 5.5g basic aquarium
-- 2 x 15W CFL 6500K bulbs about 5" from water surface
-- Tetra Whisper PF10 filter
-- Fluval Stratum substrate with

I'm also using Seachem Flourish Trace and Excel, as well as (going to) dry ferts.
Right now, I have Anubias Nana, Dwarf Hairgrass, and HC in my tank. About 4 or 5 days ago, I noticed what I've identified as "Thread Algae" from http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_...ater_algae.php

Basically, I began with the Dry Start Method, which went great for about 2-3 weeks. I got good root development and coverage with my HC, I could see runners in the DHG, all was great. Then I started noticing the above algae/mold and it was killing off my HC. In retaliation, I began to spray with a solution of H2O2, which didn't work as fast as I had wanted, so I ended up just filling in the tank. Now, the mold has slowed its taking over, but I still think the best chance of survival for my plants is to get my tank cycled ASAP!

So here's my request!!
If anyone is in the West Lafayette/Greater Lafayette Area, I would really appreciate it if I could possibly come by and scrape some gunk from your filter into a container so that I can get the bacteria going in mine! Any help or comments on my setup would be much appreciated! I'll try to upload some photos later, thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi there, I'm new to posting on this forum(been creepin around here for a while) and to planted tanks in general. I noticed that your post was from over a month ago. I can only assume you have got your tank up and running since then. Good luck. It's a shame our local forum isn't more active. I would love to see some action around here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode