TheGreenKnight's High-Tec Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
TheGreenKnight's High-Tec Nano

Hello Everyone. This is my thread journal for my High-tech six (6) gallon nano aquascape. I am brand new to the forum and relatively new to aquascaping, so please share with me your critiques along the way, "as iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Enjoy!

Here is a photo of the tank in its current state, I will backtrack some steps to show how I arrived at this point and then progress from there.

IMG_4978.jpg

Title:
Inception: 8/8/15
Hardware: Ehiem Aquastyle 6, Stock filter, Eheim Power Led Daylight x2, 20oz Paintball Co2 Tank, Aquatek Paintball C02 regulator, Green Leaf Aquariums CO2 tubing, Atomic 50mm Co2 diffuser, Cal Aqua Labs Clip Drop Checker
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Reg and Powder Type, Ecocomplete and plastic Egg Crate Underlayment
Hardscape: Petrified Wood, Driftwood
Flora: Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Staurogyne Repens, Bucephalandra Arrogant Blue Mini
Fauna: Rams Horn Snails, Planning For: Neocaridina - Blue/Red Rili, Micro Rasboras
Fertilizing Method: EI Dosing

This aquascape is a experimentation ground for me. I knew I needed some height to the scape given the relatively high vertical dimension of the tank, and I wanted the petrified wood to be the focal point of this aspect. My greatest challenge would be creating and maintaining a ridiculously high slope of substrate, so I planned specific measures to mitigate the risk of collapse. In order to achieve the height I was looking for, I started with an underlying frame of plastic light diffuser ("egg crate") and zip ties.

IMG_4709.jpg

Periodically between installing the eggcrate layers, I filled the gaps with eco complete to avoid the presence of air pockets later on. Then, I placed the hardscape and filled the tank with aqua soil. One trick I used was to pour thin layers of the aqua soil and mist them with water in-between so that the subsequent layers would stick to each other instead of tumbling down the slope. The area with the most extreme slope is in the top left of the tank. I planted the S. Repens here, utilizing the bulky stems to hold the steep hill of aqua soil in place.

IMG_4976.jpg

I added the HC throughout to start a carpet, I want to cover every inch of substrate with it to additionally reinforce the slope. It melted substantially in the first two weeks, as it was grown emersed, but I removed the rotting portions daily, and now it is established.

I placed the small portion of buce I had in between the stacked pieces of petrified wood. In my opinion, the supporting stone is the weakest point of this scape; It does not match as well as I would like with the piece above. I thought the buce may eventually fill the gap between the two pieces, and I may be able to train it down to cover the lower piece as well. I'm looking to put some sort of facade here, and if the buce doesn't work, I will likely try a moss (I'm open to suggestions here).

IMG_4975.jpg

My first draft of the completed scape did not include the driftwood.

IMG_4867.jpg

I ended up adding the driftwood, because it takes the attention off of the in tank filter, (which I plan to switch with an external canister-recomendations please). The driftwood diminishes the scale a bit, but I think it adds an extra dimension to the scape, and I like the incorporation of surreal elements into otherwise natural looking landscapes. Additionaly, I have always felt that minimalist and iwagumi type scapes are better suited for large aquariums, while small scapes are more interesting to me with abundant elements.

I will be posting another update soon. I hope you've enjoyed this journal so far and were able to pick up something new from it. Please feel free to send me your recommendations, questions, and critiques. Thank you.

TheGreenKnight

Last edited by TheGreenKnight; 02-21-2017 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Grammer and Efficiency
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

great scape!

interested to see the view from the right side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Algae Grower

I didn't know there was something call eggcrate layers. Where did you buy that and how much was it? I starting a new 20 gal long and I have been looking at different ways to add height to the tank. And this might be one way to do it. And also where did you buy your Petrified Wood ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The "Egg Crate" can be found at pretty much any hardware or home improvement store. I picked up mine at ACE. They are usually somewhere in the back by the other fluorescent light diffusers, they come in 2x4 sheets that you can cut to size.

I picked up the petrified wood at Fish Planet in Deerfield. If you haven't checked the store out before you definitely should. It's my favorite one around. Very clean, good selection, some nice display tanks too.

TheGreenKnight

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Looking forward to seeing this grown in!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks great! I always wondered how hard it is to plant in a hill of egg crate - or if the egg crate interferes with rooting.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do not think it will. There is a good layer of pure aqua soil above the egg crate, and I think the egg crate has enough gaps that the roots will just form around them. Additionally, I am using mostly shorter rooted plants. In any case, I am using this tank as an experiment for that reason and others. If a problem arises, it will be a lessoned well learned.

TheGreenKnight

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update 9/20/2015

I replaced the stock, in-tank filter with an Eheim 2111 canister. You'll notice that I added more hardscape in the vacated space. The next items on my wish list are glass lily pipes to replace the green Eheim pipes. I was thinking of going with the Cal Aqua-labs to match my drop checker, but they are expensive. If anyone has had a good experience with a more affordable option, let me know.

I also added bucephalandra "Hades," which I picked up at the last Greater Chicago Cichlid Association Swap Meet, to the driftwood centerpiece. Fujiija was kind enough to give me some Riccardia Chamedryfolia, "Mini Pellia," and I added this to the center piece as well - Fujiija, thank you for your generosity, I've been trying to get some of this stuff for a longtime.

IMG_5126.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed this update. As always, please leave me your comments and critiques.

TheGreenKnight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode