visiting - Freshwater LFS in Chicago? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
visiting - Freshwater LFS in Chicago?

Hi folk,

I'm taking a trip to Chicago area in May 2nd to 13th. Wanted to see if anyone here has some recommendations for any pet shops to check out? particularly strong in freshwater planted tanks? I won't be able to bring any livestock back, but hardware and such I can. Let me know, thanks!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish PlanetDirections
12 Google reviews
Tropical Fish Store
Address: 839 N Waukegan Rd, Deerfield, IL 60015
Phone847) 945-4700

Old Orchard AquariumDirections
23 Google reviews
Aquarium
Full-service aquatic store offering traditional & exotic fish, tanks, food & other accessories.
Address: 9235 Skokie Blvd, Skokie, IL 60077
Phone847) 675-3474

New FishDirections
8 Google reviews
Pet Store
Specialty shop offering advice on aquarium setup plus aquatic pet selection & care.
Address: 1180 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL 60642
Phone773) 384-5420

Old Town AquariumDirections
24 Google reviews
Aquarium
Longtime shop offers an assortment of aquariums, exotic fish & supplies in a maritime-themed space.
Address: 1538 N Wells St, Chicago, IL 60610
Phone312) 642-8763

There are more shops, the above are my fav for freshwater.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

My phone dial dosent have emojis ... How do I call ?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Algae Grower

lol

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
My two cents as others have helped me out when I have been out of town and wanting to visit the better LFS in the area.

I live near Fish Planet so be aware that you will need to drive up north from Chicago about 35 min to Deerfield. If you're in Chicago without a car, you can take the Metra up here and walk to the store from the Metra stop which is in downtown Deerfield. So be aware the store is not in the city (a lot of stores are not). As far as hardware goes, Steve just got Seachem aquascaping tools which are pretty new and you can't get online. They're $20 and a lot less than ADA tools so check that out. I haven't bought mine yet but I have heard good comments about the quality. You can see the awesome planted tank that was from an aquascaping demo back in March - it's looking pretty nice with AR mini, hydrocotyl japan, blyxa japonica, pogostemon erectus, s. porto velho, glosso. I get a lot of ideas from staring at that tank since there is so much to look at (it's a square tank). There are a couple of dedicated tanks with plants for sale too.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cool, definitely will checkout Fish Planet. I won't have a car, but likely purchase one of those ventra multipass..... I hate not having a car, but everyone tells me not to rent one if I'm staying in Chicago.

Any more stores, keep em coming. Thanks!

|
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
When riding the Metra to Deerfield, roundtrip on the weekends was cheaper vs. weekdays. In addition, the Sunday schedule for Metra is sparse - about every 2 hrs. Just need to plan accordingly. Deerfield downtown is a small walking downtown where you can find places to eat that are close to Fish Planet.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

cool, I'm hoping that I get out of my conference early and possibly catch the train to Fish Planet before they close and hit up a place to eat there too. Anything I should look out for if walking or traveling at night in the outer areas of Chicago?

|
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

Only thing to look out for in the northern burbs at night is terribly bored cops.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

haha, good to know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode