Aquatic Adventures and live plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquatic Adventures and live plants

Anybody know if they sell java moss at the Aquatic Adventures in Bolingbrook?

Also, for anyone who buys live plants from them, do you know if their plants are "safe" (i.e. are they kept in the same water that circulates through their fish system)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

They do! I've seen Christmas moss and willow moss occasionally as well. The plant display is separate from the fish, so you should be fine. I haven't had any trouble buying plants from them - they're also happy to accept recommendations for new plant species, I've discovered I think new shipments come in on Fridays; there tends to be a wide variety and healthier plants over the weekend.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:13 PM
Algae Grower

I would go to old orchard aquarium. Puts aquarium adventure to shame. They don't try to keep their plants healthy. No co2 system. Light system is crap. They get new shipments constantly BC they die off. Old orchard has co2 systems in their plant tanks. With actual grow lights. So much knowledge. They don't sell you useless stuff. Actually talked me out of a finex led light. Im staying with my 4 t5 bulbs. I make the trip. 45 mins away. Well worth it. Such healthy plants. You get what you pay for. Def recommend

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHermes21 View Post
I would go to old orchard aquarium. Puts aquarium adventure to shame. They don't try to keep their plants healthy. No co2 system. Light system is crap. They get new shipments constantly BC they die off. Old orchard has co2 systems in their plant tanks. With actual grow lights. So much knowledge. They don't sell you useless stuff. Actually talked me out of a finex led light. Im staying with my 4 t5 bulbs. I make the trip. 45 mins away. Well worth it. Such healthy plants. You get what you pay for. Def recommend
I think that AA has a pretty good variety of plants; however, you do have to go within a few days of them getting new stuff in. After a few days, the plants do start looking a little ratty and the selection tends to get picked clean by the amount of traffic they get through the place. They do listen to requests for new stuff if you are looking for something specific, but plan on waiting a bit.

Their mosses tend to be a bit lacking though. I typically see Monoselenuim Tenerum, African water fern, Java moss, Christmas moss and weeping moss. About half of what you buy though is brown and nasty though as if it has been sitting there a while.

I know they have CO2 in their main display tank (in Hoffman - havent been to Bolingbrook location) but I am not sure about their tanks where the stuff you buy comes from.

Old Orchard was a different story. All their stuff looked great and their people really know their stuff including plant requirements for anything they have. They had a good variety of plants and mosses and lots of good driftwood pieces. they had just gotten a shipment when I went in and they took the time to bring it out and show it to me before they had a chance to stock them in the tanks.

If I am looking for something specific, I would think OOA would be the better choice but I live right next to AA and if I can time a visit pretty close to when they stock new stuff it works out for me.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the further replies. I went out to AA in Bolingbrook yesterday. The selection was decent, but they didn't have any java moss or christmas moss (guy said that whenever they get java moss it sells out right away). The only thing close was something called willow moss, so I grabbed a container of that. Their plants are all 50% off right now, so I figured I'd have nothing to lose dropping a few bucks on it. After inspecting it further when I got home a lot of it was browned, but there should be enough to start some new plants out of it (if it does okay in the long run).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

My experience with the willow moss there as well. The on in Hoffman has never carried it before until I started asking about weeping moss to see if they could special order it. Then they call me and tell me that it is in and it turned out to be willow moss. Once you get the brown stuff out, it turns out to be a nice moss although its not what I wanted. Its a lot more rigid than the java so it won't float all over my tank.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Once a section turns brown should it be removed?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Algae Grower

I like AA we have one in Columbus, Ohio. Apparently the owner stops in quite often, has gotten dirty over the years but they keep a great stock and it's healthy. Plus a prefer not to have plants from stores that use CO2 because I don't, helps me skip a step when acclimating and it seems like I have less die off.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 AM
Planted Member

I take out any of the brown sections as I have not ever had luck with it growing back again. I left some brown sections in to see what it would do and I haven't seen it dissolve at all, it seems to maintain its rigidity even though its brown. Eventually, I'll take it all out.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (115/100%)
Usually means its dead. Just clip it or them off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode