Native fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Native fish?

Anyone in chicagoland know of any fish stores that might randomly get native fish in? I'm really only interested in minnows, but I've seen random PetCo's get small sunfish mixed in with their feeders sometimes, and I heard that the old Scott's Pet Shop in Westmont used to get all kinds of them from the DNR, but they're closed. Unfortunately, only one bait shop near me and the only thing they carry are golden shiners. And they only take cash to boot... I'm a credit card guy

30 low tech- Eheim canister, 1 marble angel, 1 SAE, 5 Black neon tetra, 5 Bloodfin tetra, 1 green cory, Water sprite, Java fern, Valisneria spiralis, Micro chain sword, Echinodorus bleheri, Lobelia cardinalis.

100 low tech- Echinodorus Marble Queen, Hornwart, Elodea canadensis, Lobelia cardinalis, Micro chain sword, Sagittaria subulata, Echinodorus bleheri, Valisneria spiralis, Java fern, Rotala indica, Ludwigia repens. Soon to be NA native fish tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
There's a place in south Elgin critters pet shop that used to sell baby norther pike, perch, sunfish, and the occasional walleye fry but they moved from there st charles location and I haven't been to the new shop. Not sure if they still do any natives but I grew 2 pike in a 100 gal to about 10 in. They were one of the coolest fish I've ever owned. Vicious things !!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol yeah I'm going to stay away from that one ha ha. Pike are known to eat fish 3/4 their own length on a regular basis! I'll have to look up that pet shop and see if I can get over there. Thanks!

30 low tech- Eheim canister, 1 marble angel, 1 SAE, 5 Black neon tetra, 5 Bloodfin tetra, 1 green cory, Water sprite, Java fern, Valisneria spiralis, Micro chain sword, Echinodorus bleheri, Lobelia cardinalis.

100 low tech- Echinodorus Marble Queen, Hornwart, Elodea canadensis, Lobelia cardinalis, Micro chain sword, Sagittaria subulata, Echinodorus bleheri, Valisneria spiralis, Java fern, Rotala indica, Ludwigia repens. Soon to be NA native fish tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've seen Aquarium Adventure in Schaumburg bring in rainbow dace. They get some interesting stuff every so often.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is that like the Petland in Bolingbrook?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yup, except in Schaumburg.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texex View Post
Yup, except in Schaumburg.
Hoffman Estates actually but close enough.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Algae Grower

I was going to say try your local bait shop, but you already did. Have you considered catching your own fish? That's always fun.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh trust me I'll be catching fish once it warms up. That's where I actually got the idea. I used to catch my own minnows for fishing when I was a kid and I always remembered how awesome the "plain" native minnows were, but I never thought of trying to keep them. Now that I've got a 100 gallon, and its dang expensive filling it full of tetras, I thought it would be awesome to fill it with a big school of native fish. There's plenty of species to keep me occupied trying to catch em all too. Kinda like Pokemon. Oh boy.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

This won't save you any money, but
there are online "native sellers".
I believe someone mentioned these two to me before;
http://jonahsaquarium.com/JonahSite/fishlist.htm
http://www.zimmermansfish.com/Price.html
I kept natives from a creek near me years ago in my 135g
Been keeping them in mind for next "re-do" on my 180.

AKA; RAMBANDIT
WHERE'S YOUR RAMS MAN?

Pictures of some of my fish;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish for sale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi strat guy,

Here is a good talk on Midwest Native Fishes with information on collecting as well. The GSAS member used to live and collect in the Chicago area and downstate IL.
http://www.gsas.org/talks.php?ID=81

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

Another thought, is there any fish farms up there? Here in TX we have fish farms that sell fish to people looking to stock their ponds. The prices are fairly cheap also. They have minnows, blue gills, shiners, crappie and bass. Might want to see if there is one up there. Google Dunn's fish farm to get an idea on prices.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

capt- That's a great idea, but I think that might be a little too much outside the box.

coral- I've seen those pages and they've got some cool stuff on them. Unfortunately they sell pretty much the most common fishes from around here, so I'll wait till spring or find a lfs that carries some that don't include a $25 shipping cost ha ha.

Seattle!!! That was an awesome presentation. I swear I've seen some of those places around here! That whole video made me really antsy. I can't wait to get out to the rivers around me and go netting. Gonna be a blast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode