Black Sand or similar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Black Sand or similar

Anyone know of a place that sells black sand in quantities similar to that of pool filter sand and price? I need a bunch for my 40B

I'm located in the Romeoville area and would prefer not to drive out too far. Going to be in Aurora today too if there is something up there by chance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Last I remember a few people were buying Black Beauty blasting sand from Menards, Tractor Supply, or welding supply shops.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Diamond is the brand at Tractor Supply. I think it is a 40lb bag for $8

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I've used Black Diamond blasting sand in the past and you really have to rinse it out A LOT to get it running clear.

If worst comes to worst, that's the route I'll have to go but I'm trying to find something that is a little easier to rinse out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I get the black blasting sand from Menards.

A trick I use to rinse it is to pour half the bag in a large storage tub and run water from your hose into it while siphoning the sand out into another bucket on the ground, just let the bottom bucket overflow with water, the sand will stay at the bottom. Doing this once you still get a very slight oil residue on the surface of your tank for a day or two, but doing it twice and there is nothing. Literally takes me about 10-15 min to do a whole 50lb bag of sand. Might be a little too cold to do now though..

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

Just about to go out and buy some blasting sand. I like the idea of the double bucket rinse.

Thanks for the tip.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

I just went up to tractor supply in east Dundee and got the black dimond stuff was 7.99 I washed it by pouring in to large rubermade and then scooping it into another bucket run some water on it and then place into tank. It was cleaner than I expected.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I used Petco black sand, no rising required. I took it from the bag into my tank.

7g Cube -
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you get Black Diamond blasting sand get medium or course, not fine.

I put 300 pounds in a small plastic wading pool, and just ran water through it while occasionally turning it over with a shovel.

From what I've read, people have widely varying "how much washing" experiences with ALL sand, including Petco; part is probably differing expectations, part is likely different production quality. It's really not hard to wash.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
I used Petco black sand, no rising required. I took it from the bag into my tank.
I ended up doing something similar...

I didn't want to sit there and rinse for who knows how long so I just bought 2 bags of black sand from PetCo. Unfortunately, 2 bags wasn't enough so I had to resort to using some Black Blasting Sand I had on hand from a previous tank I did.

It left an oily residue on the surface (even from the little bit that I did use)... which I wanted to stay away from. I'm assuming water changes, once the tank is cycled, will help?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode