Suggestions where to get god stock of plants and fish. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggestions where to get god stock of plants and fish.

Hi I am new to this forums.

Looking for good stock. Hailing from Oswego.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fish: Tropi-Quatics
Plants: This forum is best, but Aquarium Adventure Bolingbrook has a decent plant stock

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Fish: Tropi-Quatics
Plants: This forum is best, but Aquarium Adventure Bolingbrook has a decent plant stock
You'll find no better plants than on here, seriously. I agree 100%.

Depending on what kind of fish you want, I can direct you to some different sources I know of.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks,

I've been to both stores, Just wondering if there were more choices.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Free View Post
Thanks,

I've been to both stores, Just wondering if there were more choices.
There are so many options out there. If you can be a little more specific on what kinds of fish you are looking for, I'm sure I can point you in the right direction.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As of the moment nothing in particular. I like to look around. Just need a list of maybe hidden gems out there.

Thank you.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you ever come to the north suburbs of Chicago, go to Fish Planet in Deerfield. I live in Deerfield and it's my local fish store so I have been going there for the last 8 or so years since I got into planted tanks. I pretty much stopped going to other stores because I couldn't find any other store that had better quality plants and freshwater fish. I was there tonight and there was: bunch of different kinds of nano fish including a clear small goby that I had never seen before, Silane freshwater neocaridina shrimp in at least 6 different colors and even sold Tantora leaf litter food for shrimp, small nano tank set ups (these are Russian and are beautiful) in sizes of a little over a gallon and 2.5 gallons with filter and LED light, higher end bettas (koi bettas, yellow koi bettas), and about 100 rocks of bucephalandra. I don't think I've ever seen a store in Chicagoland sell buces, much less 100 rocks of maybe 8 different kinds. Fair amount of wood and good assortment of aquascaping rocks that I have never seen sold around here (mostly you need to buy online). Regularly carries tissue cultured plants and you can tell Steve what cups you want and he can probably get it for you. Also stainless steel aquascaping tools from Aqua Vitro (Seachem) if you like tools. Fun place that always has something new. Worth the drive to check out.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:41 AM

Thanks for that info fujiija!

I'll check that place out next week.

I've been to aquarium adventure petland in Schaumburg a few times, but I give it a 5/10. They have a decent selection of stuff, but the staff is horrible.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yep, been there too and I stopped going although I still get their sale mailings. When you go to a place where most of the stem plants are grown emersed, you know that's not a good sign. It's easy to ask a few questions, test the knowledge of the salepersons, and you soon figure out they really don't know their stuff and cannot help you. The Chicago Aquatic Plant Society (we are on facebook) just had the monthly club meeting yesterday at Fish Planet, so if you go there you'll see a scaped nano tank that was set up as part of the demo. I also learned from our club members that it's hard to find rimless Mr. Aqua tanks (I am not sure why) - but we did the demo in a 11 gal Mr. Aqua and Fish Planet is getting more in soon in various sizes. Just a fyi.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I feel your frustrations. I'm in your neighborhood (Montgomery) and although your can't throw a stone with out hitting a pet-co-smart-supplies+, I have to drive at least 45 minutes to get anywhere with quality stock. I second that Fish Planet in Deerfield is awesome. I've also had good luck with Tropi-Quatics Pet Center in Lombard.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

I went to the chicago aquatic plant society meeting, and there were some nice plants being offered at the meeting, then I checked out fish planet and I would go there again, however it is too far for me. The plant selection was decent, they had some tissue cultured plants as well. However, you could get the same plants from people in this forum. They had some really cool shrimp too.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode