Higher Temps - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Higher Temps

Anyone else here in Hawaii notice their tanks being warmer? Idk if it is the weather or just me, but for about the last month I've noticed all my tanks sitting around 80 degrees. I have come to the point where I have taken all the heaters out of the tanks because I don't need them. In fact one of my tanks has been getting ice cubes with water changes because it was going over 82 degrees without a heater. As of now though they all sit at around 80 degrees pretty consistently. Note that my weekly water changes are with cold tap water as well.

Also, for those living in Hawaii, do you guys ever use water conditioner? I did about a months worth of water changes without adding any because I always forget to buy. At this point I haven't noticed any problems and have decided to not use them at all? Does this sound risky?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
At this point I haven't noticed any problems and have decided to not use them at all? Does this sound risky?
I don't live in Hawaii, however I would add this. Your water might be totally fine (no chlorine/chloramine) most of the time, but if/when there is a change in the water supply, the water treatment plant might add chloramine or chlorine in response to a specific bacteria surge.

What might be fine 10 times in a row could be deadly on the 11th, unless you can be positive that the water treatment plant is never changing their sanitation routine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
Higher temp tanks are also more prone to algae IMO. When the temps are higher, it makes it harder for Co2 to concentrate the water. Since you already took out your heater, I would reccomend a small fan aimed at the tanks. It helps mine drop 2 to 4 degrees and their cheap on Amazon. A lot scapers don't prefer it since they have rimless tanks, but mine has a canopy so I can hide it well.

+1 on Alcimedes fluctuating water quality too! Always try to add the conditioner and de-chlorinators.

-Mikey G

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

Hi fishkeeper01,

When I lived on O'ahu, my tanks were consistently in the 80-82F range no matter the time of year and I just did not need to put any kind of heating on them. As for water changes, my cold water tap temperature was a pretty constant 78-80F so I never had to warm it up (usually it was warmer when I first turned the tap on before it would cool down! In summer, I would have hot and warm running water.) I asked one of the guys at the LFS if they treated their water with conditioner for chlorine/chloramines and he looked at me as if I had three eyes. He told me that he just put the water straight in from the tap and never had any problems. I did the same for the years I was there and did not experience any issues, as you did when you ran out of conditioner. Looking back, prudence would have been the better part of valor. I think given the spate of sewage spills with all the recent rain, it might be a good idea to treat your water in case the DPW has decided to up the amount of water treating they are doing. +1 on Alcimedes comment in essence.

Good luck and aloha,
TC

TippeeCanoe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp #098
Fraternity of Dirt #121
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
I add Prime with all my water changes. Considering its low cost I'd prefer the peace of mind of using it over not using it.

I also don't run any heaters and my tanks are usually around 79-81 degrees. In the summer I ran a fan over one tank because the temps were getting a little too high and it did the trick well enough, although I'm in Manoa too so the temps weren't quite as bad as when I was more in town. I have friends in Kalihi and Kaimuki and their temperature problems are much worse in regards to heat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I add Prime with all my water changes. Considering its low cost I'd prefer the peace of mind of using it over not using it.

I also don't run any heaters and my tanks are usually around 79-81 degrees. In the summer I ran a fan over one tank because the temps were getting a little too high and it did the trick well enough, although I'm in Manoa too so the temps weren't quite as bad as when I was more in town. I have friends in Kalihi and Kaimuki and their temperature problems are much worse in regards to heat.
I live in Manoa too, just wanted to know if anyone else has been noticing the the higher temps and what they are doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode