Heaters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Fuj
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Heaters

Does anyone not use a heater? or should i say use heaters? Just thinking since we are already tropical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have bettas in 2 of my 3 tanks, so I have to have heaters in there. My shrimp-only tank doesn't, though...

Click here to see my dragons ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
It depends what the temp of the water is and what kind of shrimp or fish you have.

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click below

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Fuj
Algae Grower

Are you guys in Hawaii?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
No, but i will know if you need a heater or not. It just depends on the temp of water and the inhabitants, which i mentioned above. Since, i know what to do..

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a 20 gallon for a couple of years with no heater. I would say that is about the biggest tank you can get away with not having heater. This is in California BTW.
I had many types of Gourami and tetras. If needed, there are fish that tolerate slightly colder water like Barbs.

Like they mentioned above, It's all about your temp. Monitor your temperature at different times in the day (first thing in the morning, midday and night) and you can get an idea of temp range.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

If you are in Hawaii. You should be fine. I went on vacation in Hawaii and the place I stayed had a small pond outside and they had all kinds of tropical fish in it. Guppies/platys/swordtails. But I guess it depends on what kind of fish you want to get. I also went to Florida and this place also had a pond outside that had a bunch of Guppies in it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:31 PM
GEEK

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuj View Post
Does anyone not use a heater? or should i say use heaters? Just thinking since we are already tropical.

I was born and raised in Honolulu before moving to the mainland 14 years ago. I never used aquarium heaters in planted/non-planted aquaria the entire time I was there. My tanks ranged in size from 10 to 29 gallon. I kept a school of emporer tetras, panda corys and otos in a 20 gallon long low tech planted tank without a heater for years and they thrived.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
i live in Hawaii to be exact Mililani this year the temp stayed down in the low 50's till late March so i run a heater on my tanks. Although both of my tanks house SA cichlids where they prefer low 80's.
Basically it just depends on where in Hawaii, like your locations says Honolulu is generally really warm. Also what type of fish you'll be keeping
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Algae Grower

I keep my 75g and my 20L in my office, and really need heaters because of the A/C. (I'm freezing, but at least the fish are warm)

Eheim Pimp #70!

20G long: dwarf cichlids, sparkling gouramis, and a couple of kuhli loaches. 2 x 24W T5, DIY CO2, Eheim 2213.

75G: Cichlids, rainbows, gouramis, loaches, and tetras. 4 x 54W T5s + 2 x 55W PCs, pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213 & 2215
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

All tanks that house tropical fish should have heaters.

Most fish are pretty good about adapting to different temperatures, but temperature swings cause nothing but trouble. A heater helps the temperature stay constant as the ambient temperature rises and falls. Even in Hawaii, it's not 78 degrees all the time...

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Fuj
Algae Grower

my tank is like 78 all the time. well since April it has been
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Algae Grower

Just to note, for all the mainlanders here -- Honolulu has the smallest temperature range of any major city in the U.S. So while it's not 78 degrees all the time, I think the bigger concern is the number of days/time warmer than 78, not colder than 78. In those instances, the heater is not helping much.

Eheim Pimp #70!

20G long: dwarf cichlids, sparkling gouramis, and a couple of kuhli loaches. 2 x 24W T5, DIY CO2, Eheim 2213.

75G: Cichlids, rainbows, gouramis, loaches, and tetras. 4 x 54W T5s + 2 x 55W PCs, pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213 & 2215
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I agree with Honolulufishy and RianS, my concern is my tanks getting too warm, especially indoors with no AC, because if your house is well insulated and not very well ventilated it can get pretty hot! Also, it does depend on where in Hawaii you live and what kind of fish you keep.

But in general, you probably have no need for a heater. I have never used heaters in any of my tanks or container ponds and my fish thrive. It seems that fish in the outdoor tanks do better!

Just a reminder, that the smaller the water volume the more temperature fluctuation you get. So people with smaller tanks should watch their temperature closer if not using heaters/chillers.

EPC #329 - VPC #59

20L - P. axelrodi, C. macracanthus, H. ocellifer, T. albonubes "gold", Stiphodon sp. gobies, Sailfin mollies
16BF - T. albonubes "gold", A. dolichopterus, Ps. gertrudae "Aru II"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode