never again going to honolulu aquarium society - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
never again going to honolulu aquarium society

Hey guys,
So i decided to try and get back into the aquarium world last night by checking out the "Honolulu Aquarium Society" BUT THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE AND IM NOT GOING BACK THERE EVER AGAIN!!!
Heres what happened: a goodfriend of mine wanted to check it out bcs I had a good experience the last time when i went sometime last year (not this time). Once we got there, I signed up and paid the club fee ($20). Then we looked at the items for auction and then sat down in the middle of the room and waited for the first half of the meeting to start. Unfortunately the meeting didn't start on time (7pm) and we sat waiting and checking the clock because we still had work early the next day. My friend really wanted to just attend the first part of the meeting bcs it was a talk about bettas. Good presentation and good knowledge. But then the second part of the meeting is what ruined my experience!
As items were being auctioned off my friend thought about winning and then buying an item before leaving the meeting early (we planned to stay from 7pm-9pm: 2hrs bcs we had work early next morning). Amazingly she won an item and was excited to win. As we checked the clock it was already 9:30pm so we needed to be on our way even though the auction was still going on. I decided to pay for her item as a gift for helping me see how much fun this hobby was, but that was not the case:
I went over to the staff member who I paid $20 in order to join the club, and another older memeber who seemed like the president of the company. I kindly informed them that I'd like to purchase the item which my friend won and needed to leave early bcs we had to work early in the morning. I showed them the cash ($10.00) but that's when my love of the hobby died!
The president member looked at me and gave me a mean stare, he raised his voice at me and said "what! You can't do that! You just can't!... if I let u do it then everyone else will get the same idea!.." iwas in total shock at his behavior and reaction, I apologized and then went over to my friend and informed her that we couldn't pay for it. She was sad and decided to let it be reauctioned since we needed to leave. So then I reapproached the president member again and informed him that the item that I had won (friend won the item) could be reauctioned. He then gave me a disrespectful look and put me on the spot: "no you can't do that! That's going to ruin the system we have setup and its going to cause confusion with the recorders (volunteers keeping track of item/winners)". He then shouted "TELL ME SOMETHING ARE YOU GOING TO BE A VOLUNTEER THE NEXT TIME!?!!! HUH!". I shockingly responded "I don't know bcs of my work schedule". He then responeded "well then how about u pay for the item and put it in the raffle (random give away gift = can't take item home)". The other member then tries to calm the president member down by offering to let me leave and offering to pay for my item (in order to put it into the raffle). The two then argue but then come to an agreement. The nice member gives me a nice gesture to leave and so me and my friend leave the meeting. I explained to her what happen and she was shocked. She said we should get our $20 back.

Overall this was a horrible experience because of that president member's rude behavior and disrespectful tone of voice. Because of that one individual this clubs lost two members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, what a jerk.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My first auction was years ago. It was also my last. I have a friend that keep asking me to come back, but I never have the time (and money) or really desire to go. It just wasn't for me.

Father of the Princess Zelda.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Too bad that happened. I hope someone in the society reads your posting and gets a clue.

I almost went to the meeting since I was in Honolulu on Friday night. It was my last night in town before I flew home - thought it would be fun to see a long-running society meeting. However I opted to go to Genki Sushi instead. Glad I skipped the meeting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 AM

Hi my name is Robert Lau I am the member let you go last night I like to speak to you about what happened last night and if you have a chance call me at my phone number it's 225-4196 give me a call like to hear from you thank you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Sorry I'm not interested in any service recovery or explanations, but my gift back to the association is an awareness to how members are treated.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Truly sorry about your experience. It is sad that a person with a high rank of involvement in the club is unreasonable.

This behavior clearly scares people away from that club.

But, please do not give up on the hobby.

Thank you for sharing.

~Cris
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowfan05 View Post
Hey guys,
So i decided to try and get back into the aquarium world last night by checking out the "Honolulu Aquarium Society" BUT THAT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE AND IM NOT GOING BACK THERE EVER AGAIN!!!
Heres what happened: a goodfriend of mine wanted to check it out bcs I had a good experience the last time when i went sometime last year (not this time). Once we got there, I signed up and paid the club fee ($20). Then we looked at the items for auction and then sat down in the middle of the room and waited for the first half of the meeting to start. Unfortunately the meeting didn't start on time (7pm) and we sat waiting and checking the clock because we still had work early the next day. My friend really wanted to just attend the first part of the meeting bcs it was a talk about bettas. Good presentation and good knowledge. But then the second part of the meeting is what ruined my experience!
As items were being auctioned off my friend thought about winning and then buying an item before leaving the meeting early (we planned to stay from 7pm-9pm: 2hrs bcs we had work early next morning). Amazingly she won an item and was excited to win. As we checked the clock it was already 9:30pm so we needed to be on our way even though the auction was still going on. I decided to pay for her item as a gift for helping me see how much fun this hobby was, but that was not the case:
I went over to the staff member who I paid $20 in order to join the club, and another older memeber who seemed like the president of the company. I kindly informed them that I'd like to purchase the item which my friend won and needed to leave early bcs we had to work early in the morning. I showed them the cash ($10.00) but that's when my love of the hobby died!
The president member looked at me and gave me a mean stare, he raised his voice at me and said "what! You can't do that! You just can't!... if I let u do it then everyone else will get the same idea!.." iwas in total shock at his behavior and reaction, I apologized and then went over to my friend and informed her that we couldn't pay for it. She was sad and decided to let it be reauctioned since we needed to leave. So then I reapproached the president member again and informed him that the item that I had won (friend won the item) could be reauctioned. He then gave me a disrespectful look and put me on the spot: "no you can't do that! That's going to ruin the system we have setup and its going to cause confusion with the recorders (volunteers keeping track of item/winners)". He then shouted "TELL ME SOMETHING ARE YOU GOING TO BE A VOLUNTEER THE NEXT TIME!?!!! HUH!". I shockingly responded "I don't know bcs of my work schedule". He then responeded "well then how about u pay for the item and put it in the raffle (random give away gift = can't take item home)". The other member then tries to calm the president member down by offering to let me leave and offering to pay for my item (in order to put it into the raffle). The two then argue but then come to an agreement. The nice member gives me a nice gesture to leave and so me and my friend leave the meeting. I explained to her what happen and she was shocked. She said we should get our $20 back.

Overall this was a horrible experience because of that president member's rude behavior and disrespectful tone of voice. Because of that one individual this clubs lost two members.

Braddah I am so sorry that had happened to you pm me your name and I hope you can join our group lmk
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowfan05 View Post
Sorry I'm not interested in any service recovery or explanations, but my gift back to the association is an awareness to how members are treated.
I think you should call. There may be an explanation for the mans behaviour. You got nothin to loose.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Robert Lau is a good guy.
I'm not backing anyone up but everything deserves a chance.
I'm not a member of HAS but i've been there on their open night last year and he had nothing but love and good info to share.

I'm planning on actually joining soon because I know a lot of people that is in it and they all have nothing bad to say.

Don't let 1 rotten apple ruin your whole experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Algae Grower

One of the reasons why I didn't renew is because I have young children and the meetings ran too late! It is an excellent hobby for families and to get the next generation involved, but that's hard when the next generation has kids who needs to be fed, bathed, and in bed by 9:00 pm at the latest.

The venue is perfect too, my kids love playing outside with dad and the other kids during the meeting. It also wasn't that there was so much material to cover that it went over, there was a lot of sitting around talking story time, and the meeting also started late.

It seems like a logistical problem. There are many ways to cheaply automate the auction and membership recording and accounting systems so the items can be purchased and removed from the premises without dropping any balls or interrupting the rest of the auction. There are even silent auction apps that can be done completely by cell phone.

We're a smart bunch, we can keep these fish and plants alive on dry land, I'm sure we can come up with a solution that will attract new volunteers. I know it's hard when the same people are doing all the work year after year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode