A Trip to Hawaii! Where to visit? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A Trip to Hawaii! Where to visit?

Specifically Honolulu and Kona, visiting from New Zealand

I'm after cool pet stores and aquariums (going to visit Aquascapes and the Waikiki aquarium) - also good diving and snorkeling spots. We visited one of the large chain stores last time (either Petsmart or Petco, can't remember which) and this time are after something a bit more specialty.

Incredibly excited for Aquascapes, the store looks stunning! Can't wait to have that kind of quality here in NZ.

We last visited one of the main snorkeling spots on Kona but over the years the fish population / reef life seems to be decreasing So we would be keen on visiting somewhere a bit more remote this time.

(Off topic, but last time we happened to visit during the Government Shutdown - so excited to visit the Volcanoes as they were switched off while the Govt was down )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraodon View Post
Specifically Honolulu and Kona, visiting from New Zealand

I'm after cool pet stores and aquariums (going to visit Aquascapes and the Waikiki aquarium) - also good diving and snorkeling spots. We visited one of the large chain stores last time (either Petsmart or Petco, can't remember which) and this time are after something a bit more specialty.

Incredibly excited for Aquascapes, the store looks stunning! Can't wait to have that kind of quality here in NZ.

We last visited one of the main snorkeling spots on Kona but over the years the fish population / reef life seems to be decreasing So we would be keen on visiting somewhere a bit more remote this time.

(Off topic, but last time we happened to visit during the Government Shutdown - so excited to visit the Volcanoes as they were switched off while the Govt was down )
Sounds like you have a good trip planned! Aquascapes is definitely the LFS to visit here, just note that they are now closed on Sundays so plan accordingly.

You're right about the reef life here -- fish population definitely seems to be decreasing and the reefs no longer look quite as healthy as before. Assuming you are renting a car I'd definitely recommend checking out some of the less touristy snorkel spots on Oahu. A quick google search should reveal what those are (or others will chime in), but the one place I'd definitely recommend going to is Shark's Cove. Just make sure to get there early to find parking and try not to bring any valuables in the car. You may need to bring your snorkel gear too, although there might be a few vendors nearby that rent out too (can't quite remember).

While not quite an aquarium or petstore I'd highly recommend checking out the Byodo-In Temple on the Windward side. The temple itself is just remarkably beautiful and they have some amazing koi and black swans in their pond too that you can feed.

Have fun!

Last edited by Morbo; 03-10-2015 at 02:44 AM. Reason: wat
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The popular snorkeling attraction in Honolulu is Hanauma Bay. It is a Nature Preserve (no fishing or spearing) and consequently the fish are not afraid of humans and are rather plentiful. You can rent snorkel gear at the Bay but note they are closed on Tuesdays and there is an entry fee.

The Aquarium in Waikiki is also worth a visit as the tanks are well stocked with all types of marine life.

If the waves are big you might want to take a drive to the North Shore to view the surf and visit Haleiwa town. Traffic may be a problem but its worth the visit.

I will 2nd Morbo's suggestion on visiting Byodo-In Temple. It is located in the Valley of the Temple Memorial Park and as stated it is very beautiful and stunning.

Enjoy your visit and don't leave valuables in your car at the different scenic spots.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

For some reason it didn't automatically subscribe me to this thread, so I'm so sorry for the late reply!

Was just checking out Shark's Cove, and looks like we'll definitely be giving it a go! And the temple looks stunning, thank you for letting me know about it!

Will have to figure out what to do re keeping valuables on me. May have to visit the snorkel spots twice, one with my DSLR gear and the other without

Are there any suggested diving programs for beginners? My father's an experienced diver, but I'm yet to try - however Hawaii seems like the perfect place to learn
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Computer finally fixed so I can finally respond!

We didn't make it to Shark's Cove, but made it to Hanauma Bay instead - it was amazing! The fish were incredibly friendly (although I don't approve of people feeding them) and it was a gorgeous place to snorkel. We also went snorkeling with a "shark cage dive", and saw some Galapagos sharks, which was fascinating and very fun.

Unfortunately I ended up with a cold, so didn't get to do anything in Kona!

Aquascapes was awesome! Everyone was incredibly friendly and I am so glad I visited. It was very inspiring and I was so happy to see all these ADA tanks (a quality of aquascaping I've never seen in NZ!) - I'd recommend a visit for any fishkeeper going to Hawaii Am also very happy with the cute pleco plushies I came back with! Hope to visit again one day!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sucks you had a cold on your trip, thats how it goes huh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Seems so Got off the plane, woke up 3am that night with a sore throat and all went downhill from there. Though we were so exhausted from Oahu we needed a good rest anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode