Advice when visiting Hawaii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Advice when visiting Hawaii

Hello all
I grew up in Hawaii but live in the mainland now and will be visiting Oahu next week. First time visiting since I set up my planted tank.

Looking for maybe top 3 retail stores that sell plants - so far I heard about Aquascape Hawaii and Petland (is this the same Petland that used to be in Ala Moana Center?). Any other places worth visiting for fun? Any cool Hawaiian items that might be worth the hassle of carrying back in my suitcase and putting in my planted tank?

Also - are you allowed to hand carry out aquatic plants on the flight back to the mainland?

Thanks all - it'll be good to be back even for just a week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I visited oahu no vegetation was allowed to be brought back to the mainland, they had scanners at the airport for it. Even the sand wasn't allowed and pineapples had to be bought at the airport with a stamp on it. You may be able to ship items out but I would look into the regulations a little before I would try.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you Doug.

I think the issue with fresh fruits is more of the fruit fly problem in Hawaii which I recall as being bad (they were everywhere).

I did go to the USDA site and it's unclear to me whether I need a permit or not to take aquatic plants out of the state. Just looking for some real-life advice from the locals who go to and from the mainland, just in case I find something I want to bring back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Petland is in Kahala.

I'm also pretty sure you cannot take plants with you without a permit.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 04:36 AM
GEEK

PTrader: (68/100%)
You can mail plants, fish, opae ula back to the mainland from Hawaii. That's what I've always done, either the day of or day before departure via Priority Flat Rate. One of my visits back, I went to the Honolulu Aquarium Society meeting/auction and got a bunch of cool stuff for cheap. Don't even try taking anything on the airplane with you. You'll get it taken away.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to know!

I went to the Honolulu Aquarium Society home page and it looks like they'll have the monthly meeting when I am there on March 6th. Also looks like they have a monthly auction - is that where you went? I might go - LOL, it's held at the elementary school I attended!

If needed, I'll mail stuff back via USPS. Love those flat rate boxes. When I land in Honolulu, I was going to talk to the Ag Inspection people that are usually in the departure area but I'll just skip it and count on mailing items back to myself.

Never been to Petland in Kahala Mall - didn't even know there was a Petland there. I'll stop by.

Thanks everyone for the information. Mahalo.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 06:06 AM
GEEK

Petland is not in Kahala Mall. It's across the street. Same folks that had the Ala Moana and Waimalu locations way back in the day. Kalihi Pets sometimes has interesting stuff too (they're where the old Gems used to be). Have fun on your trip!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh! It's across the street. No wonder I couldn't figure out where it was in my mind.

I am looking forward to weather above freezing!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanjungledog View Post
Petland is not in Kahala Mall. It's across the street. Same folks that had the Ala Moana and Waimalu locations way back in the day. Kalihi Pets sometimes has interesting stuff too (they're where the old Gems used to be). Have fun on your trip!
Gems!! Wow you're an old timer like me! Very few people know what Gem store was.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 05:08 AM
GEEK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajidy View Post
Gems!! Wow you're an old timer like me! Very few people know what Gem store was.
... and when Classic Bowl was across the street. LOL.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks all! I had a great time in Hawaii.

Just want to give a shout out to Jojo at Aquascapes Hawaii. Great store that sells ADA items. He had Echinodorus opacus which I had never seen before (except in pictures - see below). Also loved the scape with crypt parva (see below) - mine always gets algae but perhaps I should do a low tech scape like he did. It was amazing.

Also did go to Petland Kahala - it's a little tricky to get to the parking lot but lots of interesting things in there. Got a crypt florida sunset and some other plants that were mislabeled (see photo - they actually run a Co2 tank with T5 lights). Some assortment of rocks and very nice spider wood. Even had emersed HC for sale!

Ate my fill of local food (Genki Sushi, Zippy's, Gyotaku, etc.) and even made it to Don Quijote, Marukai, and I always find Costco in Hawaii worth a stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5263.JPG (153.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5269.JPG (184.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5274.JPG (125.7 KB, 11 views)

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Glad u liked it here

Finnex member #14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode