CO2 setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
CO2 setup

I have started to look into using CO2 for my tanks. If you are using pressurized CO2 would you be willing to share information on your set up?
1. Type of equipment and where you procured them (regulator, tank, diffuser, drop checker, others)
2. How long does the tank last before refill? I realize longevity depends on the rate you are diffusing CO2 into your tank based on lighting ,plants and other factors but any info is appreciated.
3. Where do you refill your tanks on Oahu or do you do a tank exchange. How much does this cost?
4. Any other information you think I could use

If you are using DIY could you let me know how that has worked out for you.

Thanks for your support,
Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Hi Rod,

Currently I use Aquatek's Mini Paintball set ups (purchased Amazon and ebay on separate occasions). My tanks are all on the smaller size (29g is my largest) so my 24 oz paintball canisters last typically 3-4 months. My favorite thing about paintball canisters is that you can just go to Sports Authority and they'll refill them for $3-$3.50 depending on the size. I always keep an extra filled canister on hand at home so if one runs out I can swap it immediately and then go to Sports Authority at my convenience. Just takes a few minutes and then you're out the door. If it was that easy to refill/exchange a 5# or 10# tank then I'd definitely recommend one of those with a full size regulator, but I have heard from other forum users that their experience refilling here on Oahu has been a little frustrating. Since I have no firsthand experience doing that though I'll wait for them to chime in.

If I had deeper pockets I'd probably go with a GLA regulator, but for the time being I've had no complaints with the Aquatek.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I did it the easy way... just bought a Sera CO2 kit. Came with 500g bottle, regulator, reactor and drop checker. I've since added a pH controller/solenoid and a home-brewing CO2 bottle (2.6kg - 6lb?).
I run my tank (40g) at pH 6.75, which is about 25ppm CO2.
I weighed the cylinder at 4 week intervals, and it had only dropped by 200-300g, so I expect the larger cylinder to last a good 7-8 months (I'll likely have it refilled before it runs out).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Right now I have multiple co2 set ups and they came from all over.
I bought all of my co2 tanks used from other aquarist here on the islands.
1 co2 regulator was bought at Aquascapes, the rest was purchased by quitting aquarist on Plantedtank. All my diffusers came from GLA. And I don't use a drop checker, I go by eye.

I use the 5lbs tanks atm and they last 2-6 months. I depends really on how much I am diffusing. One tank I have outside in Direct sunlight that stays on 24/7, no fishes, at about 5/6 bps. My tank last normally 2 months. And other tanks that is on for 6 hrs a day, at 2/3 bps that lasts me 6 months. Sometimes longer.
Another big factor is the way you are diffusing your co2. I recently switched to a inline diffuser and I couldn't be happier. I use a lot less co2, judging by my BPS, but get a lot more co2 diffusion into my tank thus having to fill less. Also with a inline diffuser, I don't see extra things in my tank like a Glass diffuser,suction cups, tubing, and EVEN bubbles. Everything is connected to my canister filter. I don't know how long my tank will last now. Maybe a year.

I tank exchange at Gaspro for around $25 for a 5# tank.

I know you already know this but be sure you have sufficient lighting to use a co2 setup. Atleast 3wpg+ or it would be next to pointless to have a high tech co2 setup. I don't want you wasting money on something you don't need.

And please do keep in mind. I might not be right in everything I said but that's just what worked for me until this day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try a simple set up on my 10g to see the effects on the plants (Barcopa, Crypts, Sag, Blyxa, Egeria). After seeing my tanks light up with plants my wife has taken interest in my hobby and now encourages me to try CO2 and buy better lights. What a welcome change this has been. Always nice when your better half shows interest in your hobby (passion).
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiro View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. I will try a simple set up on my 10g to see the effects on the plants (Barcopa, Crypts, Sag, Blyxa, Egeria). After seeing my tanks light up with plants my wife has taken interest in my hobby and now encourages me to try CO2 and buy better lights. What a welcome change this has been. Always nice when your better half shows interest in your hobby (passion).
That's great to hear
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiro View Post
Nothing looks better than a plant with that beautiful bright green new growth sprouting at every branch node.....
My wife just named one of my tiger barbs.... (I can feel that 6' er coming now...)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi Rod,

I run a somewhat customized Paintball setup.

1. I run a 20oz paintball tank purchased from Amazon, an Atomic Paintball CO2 regulator from GLA or Evilbay, Clippard ET-2M-12 solenoid, Clippard Manifold 15490-1, Clippard Needle valve MNV-4. Generic in-line glass bubble counter, all feeding into a rexgriggs CO2 reactor. I also run a generic drop checker and keep it yellow.
2. I've been running this tank since July 2014, so a little over 4 months now, at around 2-2.5 bubbles per seconds. The tank feels a bit light, so I assume its going to be empty in another month or two, maybe more.
3. Paintball tanks refills at Sports Authority for less than 4 bucks.
4. If you just starting out with co2 and want to save yourself some headaches, go with a quality built configuration. I hear GLA is good, and if your tank is anything larger than say 20 gallons, go with a standard 5lb tank and regulator. The only reason I went paintball was due to space requirement for my 3.5 gallon tank. clippard needle valve isn't that good, go with Fabco instead, or spend some real money on a parker metering valve if you can find one. Check the FS sections, there are a handful of people that sell systems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks quark. I have decided to purchase a paintball system using an Aquatek mini regulator. As a trial it will be set up on a 45g but once I become comfortable using pressurized CO2 I will move it to my son's 5g. In the meantime I will be looking into using a bigger CO2 tank. Btw looked over your Mini Iwagumi journal and that is a nice scape.

As a trial I did set up a diy on my 10g and it seems to be having some effect as I have seen my plants pearl for the first time which my son and I thought was pretty awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode