LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pointers on high tech tanks

Aloha Guys,
I'm going on a trip for 6 days.
Buuuut, I am wondering how my High Tech Tanks will do with me being gone for so long. I have went on many trips before, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time, and all of my planted tanks did fine. But then again they were ALL low tech tanks so I didn't need to fertilize much. I'm just wondering how my High tech tanks will do with no daily fertilizations.

All my tank lights are on timers anywhere from 6-8h/day
Co2 starts an 1 hr before the lights turn on and cuts off an hr before the lights shut off.
Fertilizing schedule is based off of the EI Calculator and are fertilized everyday except Sunday followed by a 50% water change every Monday.

I have some automatic feeders for the fishes that can feed once a day that I can set up.
The last thing I want to come home to is algae in my tanks.

Does anyone have tips they can share or my tanks will be fine with no ferts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'd consider reducing the light intensity or photo-period just to slow things down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you have anyone that can come over to fertilize your plants? If not then you could do a small water change or would a WC reset your tanks? I usually do a WC and trim plants, but have someone come over and fill water up in the tanks and feed the fishes.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
hmmm...that's an interesting one. The only thing I've done on my high tech nano is subject it to a 2-3 day black out, doesn't hurt anything. Also I routinely dose macro and micro on Fridays, because I'm not around my tank on Sat and Sun, and if its a 3 day weekend, I dose an extra amount for that day I won't be next to my tank.

One idea I read somewhere is just dose all your ferts on 1st day. If your tank is super dense and plants are growing well, I would think you could get away with it. The only stressing item for fish would be your nitrates would be pretty high, I've gone as high as 40-50ppm, I believe Tom Barr has gone higher. If your fish are healthy, I don't think it'll be a problem.

You'll get an algae bloom if your tank runs out of ferts, or your co2 goes haywire with the same light intensity.

another idea, setup some sort of drip dosing for your ferts. You'll have to time your drips and do some math, but its an option. Maybe poke a needle size hole in a 2 liter bottle cap, and see what happens.

Personally, what I would do is just dose the entire week's EI dose after a 60% water change on the day you leave and maybe knock back the light intensity and duration a bit if you fear you'll run out of ferts. adjust your co2 schedule accordingly too. I've never tried it, but that's what I would try. Good luck.

Oh, and watch out for evaporation and how your filter outlets are positioned, you don't want to agitate all your Co2 out of the tank at the end of week, cause then you might end up with an algae bloom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
I'd consider reducing the light intensity or photo-period just to slow things down.
I'll definitely try that. I'll drop it down to a 4-6hr light period. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erirku View Post
Do you have anyone that can come over to fertilize your plants? If not then you could do a small water change or would a WC reset your tanks? I usually do a WC and trim plants, but have someone come over and fill water up in the tanks and feed the fishes.
I actually do but not everyday. I thought about asking but I don't want to make my fish tanks a burden for them. It's worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
hmmm...that's an interesting one. The only thing I've done on my high tech nano is subject it to a 2-3 day black out, doesn't hurt anything. Also I routinely dose macro and micro on Fridays, because I'm not around my tank on Sat and Sun, and if its a 3 day weekend, I dose an extra amount for that day I won't be next to my tank.

One idea I read somewhere is just dose all your ferts on 1st day. If your tank is super dense and plants are growing well, I would think you could get away with it. The only stressing item for fish would be your nitrates would be pretty high, I've gone as high as 40-50ppm, I believe Tom Barr has gone higher. If your fish are healthy, I don't think it'll be a problem.

You'll get an algae bloom if your tank runs out of ferts, or your co2 goes haywire with the same light intensity.

another idea, setup some sort of drip dosing for your ferts. You'll have to time your drips and do some math, but its an option. Maybe poke a needle size hole in a 2 liter bottle cap, and see what happens.

Personally, what I would do is just dose the entire week's EI dose after a 60% water change on the day you leave and maybe knock back the light intensity and duration a bit if you fear you'll run out of ferts. adjust your co2 schedule accordingly too. I've never tried it, but that's what I would try. Good luck.

Oh, and watch out for evaporation and how your filter outlets are positioned, you don't want to agitate all your Co2 out of the tank at the end of week, cause then you might end up with an algae bloom.
Oh goodness. There is so many ways that I can get an algae bloom.
I'll do a 60% w/c before hand for sure. If I can't get my family to add my ferts for me then i'll try a 3 day dosing. I don't want to bring my Nitrates too crazy before my shrimps die. I would love to try that bottle thing but that is quite a bit of trial and error that could also be detrimental if I do it wrong. That was an awesome suggestion though. If I saran wrap about 75% of my tank to prevent too much evaporation, would there be any problem with the co2 spiking?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode