Co2 Diffuser Reccomendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Co2 Diffuser Reccomendations

I just broke a diffuser, now my tank looks ghetto-rigged..

I'm looking for a good diffuser to buy. I was looking at inline diffusers but I don't mind the look of the diffuser being in the tank. Any good recommendations?

Also, If you have a diffuser lying around i'll buy it from you. The aesthetics of my tank disgusts me.. I just need it as a temporary unless it's a good one. Name your price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Don't have a spare, but have had good luck with the atomic diffuser. Only downside is that it requires 30psi and won't work with DIY co2, or with a low-pressure regulator.

Not fragile like glass diffusers and reasonably unassuming in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Don't have a spare, but have had good luck with the atomic diffuser. Only downside is that it requires 30psi and won't work with DIY co2, or with a low-pressure regulator.

Not fragile like glass diffusers and reasonably unassuming in the tank.
Atomic looks nice! I'll try check out GLA for that. And I have a spare diffuser actually, looks kinda like an atomic. I forget the name but I can't get it to work.. Seems clogged? I have it on a pressurized co2 system. I tried it on 2 of my systems and they both seem to have the same results. Once I get it working it works great then once my timer goes off then comes back on it takes 1 million years just to get going again.

It looks like this but blue instead of green and brown instead of white.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

What kind of regulator? Pressure is an issue with this type of diffuser. Really have to ensure you can deliver 30+psi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
What kind of regulator? Pressure is an issue with this type of diffuser. Really have to ensure you can deliver 30+psi.
I think it's called a super diffuser?
My pressure gauge reads just over 50 psi. I wonder if my gauge is misleading.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That isn't your pressure gauge. That's the tank level. You wouldn't have a pressure gauge unless you have a dual gauge regulator. Usually single gauge regs are pre set from the factory you gotta find out what regulator you have and the operating output pressure is set from factory. You can adjust it with a little set screw on some but you gotta figure out what you have first before you can move on.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You might want to look at inline CO2 atomizers. I've slowly converted 4 of my tanks from in tank diffusers to inline atomizers with excellent results. Maximum CO2 absorption, decreasing trips to refill cylinders because you're using less CO2 & one less thing in the tank. Check out this thread for more background:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...921&highlight=

If your regulator working pressure is preset @ 50psi, you should be able to operate your replacement diffuser but, it does take time for CO2 to build up enough pressure to force out the water in the diffuser cylinder and pass thru the diffuser wall. Good luck.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Love Shrimps View Post
That isn't your pressure gauge. That's the tank level. You wouldn't have a pressure gauge unless you have a dual gauge regulator. Usually single gauge regs are pre set from the factory you gotta find out what regulator you have and the operating output pressure is set from factory. You can adjust it with a little set screw on some but you gotta figure out what you have first before you can move on.
Ohhhhh that makes sense!!!
I was wondering what that second gauge was for. I have 1 with a single gauge and 1 with two. I'll have to check both of them out now. I was reading it all wrong. I normally don't even look at the gauge and just turn until I get my desired bps. Thanks!!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
You might want to look at inline CO2 atomizers. I've slowly converted 4 of my tanks from in tank diffusers to inline atomizers with excellent results. Maximum CO2 absorption, decreasing trips to refill cylinders because you're using less CO2 & one less thing in the tank. Check out this thread for more background:

If your regulator working pressure is preset @ 50psi, you should be able to operate your replacement diffuser but, it does take time for CO2 to build up enough pressure to force out the water in the diffuser cylinder and pass thru the diffuser wall. Good luck.
I just read your whole thread and i'll try it out. If it works great i'll switch all my tanks over. I don't understand fully how to to set my co2 level w/o a bubble counter.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post

I second this. I'm a fan of keeping things out of the tank. The inline diffuser works even with DiY, meaning less pressure is needed.

Also, I'm recently started using an ISTA turbo coo2 reactor, and I'm loving it even more than the inline atomizer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
You could build a reactor if you wanted to. Rexgriggs style or a Cerges. I have a Rex Griggs style one. near 100% dissolved rate, no visible co2 bubbles coming out of my filter outlet.

|
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Dus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwhiskey View Post
I second this. I'm a fan of keeping things out of the tank. The inline diffuser works even with DiY, meaning less pressure is needed.

Also, I'm recently started using an ISTA turbo coo2 reactor, and I'm loving it even more than the inline atomizer.
I just ordered a inline diffuser through GLA last night. If that one does me wrong then i'll definitely look into ISTA turbo. Infact I should start looking at it now since I have a few more tanks that could use a inline co2 system.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quark View Post
You could build a reactor if you wanted to. Rexgriggs style or a Cerges. I have a Rex Griggs style one. near 100% dissolved rate, no visible co2 bubbles coming out of my filter outlet.

100% sounds too good to be true. I think I seen that video last night of the DIY reactor. I might do it in the future. I can't right now. My life is always on the move.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode