Preparing for the the storm (x2) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Preparing for the the storm (x2)

The local news is reporting life as we know it will come to an end this weekend due to the dual hurricanes. I wanted to see what everyone else is doing. I hate to admit it, but I haven't really prepared my tanks (both work and home) for any long term problems. I have the tanks on UPS which should help them weather out a short blackout (less than 90 minutes).

So... How have you prepared or not prepared for the coming storms?

Father of the Princess Zelda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would probably put fish and plants in a plastic bin. Then build a wooden enclosure to put the plastic in. Glass is for sure going to get broken. You can always get a battery operated air pump. Not sure about a heater............I saw the weather report, and from one islander to another. Be careful, and my prayers go out to you guys.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Dus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I haven't prepared.. :/ All I have is portable air pumps on hand if power goes out. I still have some tanks outside. I hope the wind isn't strong enough to blow them down. If it survives the night i'll put all my fishtanks on the ground(off my stand) for more stabilization (Thinking of a worse case scenario). I wonder how my HC and other plants are going to do with no light if the power goes out for a few days (Again, thinking of a worse case scenario) >:O
I have so much to think about...

Be safe guys!!!!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Preparing for the the storm (x2)

All my indoor tanks except my 60P are under populated so if the power goes for any extended period, I'm not too worried about any animal losses. All my indoor tanks have timered lighting & synced CO2 that I guesstimate, may impact the tank flora if there is a loss of power for more than 3 days.
My 3 outdoor tanks are on cinder block so not too worried about them (other than flying debris). They are all natural (no filtration or CO2 & natural sunlight) so, power outages will not effect them.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the winds are not too great and hope everybody stays safe.

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADA Gentleman #6

Last edited by BeastMaster; 08-08-2014 at 06:47 AM. Reason: additional info

Tags
blackout, hurrican, power outage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode