PTrader: (0/0%)
looking for an algae crew

Lmk what you got.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

algae clean up? amano shrimp, flying foxes, otocinclus. it really depends on what type of algae you have and what your tank inhabitants are...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
As most people here will tell you it is far better to find the source of your algae and fix the problem instead of buying livestock to eat it. If you just want some help keeping small amounts of algae off plant leaves go with an Otto, or if you want a little help keeping the glass clean get a pleco. But if you are attempting to combat your algae issues with livestock you are going about it the wrong way. You should buy the live stock you like, and not have a tank filled with stuff you don't want so it can eat your algae. If you are having a major algae problem you should post some pictures and there will be plenty of people to help you out with troubleshooting the issue. A good way to help combat the algae is to use the "One-Two Punch", but this is just a band-aid on a broken arm if you don't try to address the root problem. As the livestock grows and ages they tend to eat less and less algae, I have about 8 TSAE in my 75 gallon aquarium, I bought them because I like them, and they would eat lots of algae when I first got them and now they just wait for the food from heaven, aka my custom blend fish flakes.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
As most people here will tell you it is far better to find the source of your algae and fix the problem instead of buying livestock to eat it. If you just want some help keeping small amounts of algae off plant leaves go with an Otto, or if you want a little help keeping the glass clean get a pleco. But if you are attempting to combat your algae issues with livestock you are going about it the wrong way. You should buy the live stock you like, and not have a tank filled with stuff you don't want so it can eat your algae. If you are having a major algae problem you should post some pictures and there will be plenty of people to help you out with troubleshooting the issue. A good way to help combat the algae is to use the "One-Two Punch", but this is just a band-aid on a broken arm if you don't try to address the root problem. As the livestock grows and ages they tend to eat less and less algae, I have about 8 TSAE in my 75 gallon aquarium, I bought them because I like them, and they would eat lots of algae when I first got them and now they just wait for the food from heaven, aka my custom blend fish flakes.
+1 with aquarist. Pleco, ottos, Siamese algae eaters and other algae fish tend to give up eating algae cause the source of food is "blah" they taste something better and want that. I found a little thing that helps keep some but not all algae eating fish eating algae.

Keep an extra small tank some where empty but cycled and when they crew cleans up put them in the small tank after this keeps them from getting the taste for the normal food and keeps them eating the algae. It works for the most part but sometime it a fail.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
I just have wild shrimp in my tank. I almost never feed my fish(maybe once a day) I let them eat algae after.. And sometimes if it's too much algae I pour some excel on my scrub pad and I scrub my tank walls.. Haha it's weird but it does it forme

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
"Wild" Neos assist with algae control in all of my tanks. Maintaining a balance of nutrients, lighting & CO2 are the key to preventing algal blooms. Periodic dosing w/Excel helps after times of inattention. Good luck.

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Whoa lots of replies haha. Sorry guys I shouldve explained a bit more. Definitely not new to the hobby and had my fair share dealing with algae that was my own fault. Tank is pretty clean just brown algae on the glass every once in a while but elbow grease works so I dont mind that. Just looking for a small crew to clean up the plants. Ottos ive had before and worked great but just trying to get a different crew that would do the same job. Just like how we all change our layouts I like to change my clean up crews every once in a while.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDC808 View Post
Whoa lots of replies haha. Sorry guys I shouldve explained a bit more. Definitely not new to the hobby and had my fair share dealing with algae that was my own fault. Tank is pretty clean just brown algae on the glass every once in a while but elbow grease works so I dont mind that. Just looking for a small crew to clean up the plants. Ottos ive had before and worked great but just trying to get a different crew that would do the same job. Just like how we all change our layouts I like to change my clean up crews every once in a while.
What do u have in mind?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
What do u have in mind?
Preferably something that stays small.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Ottos stay small, but they don't keep glass clean in large aquariums well, or mine are just fat and lazy. Plecos do a good job on glass, bristlenoses will only get to around 3 inches, but they have a tendency to dig up some plants, but don't damage anything, you just gotta replant them. I have a ton of MTS and they do a good job keeping the substrate nice and loose, and they cover the glass after lights out, and since I run a high light setup on everything I hardly ever see them in my aquariums. There are all types of snails out there that you can use, if you are an adventurous eater you can raise snails and eat them yourself, talk about population control! I found this article recently:

http://rule-303.blogspot.com/2011/08...ve-snails.html

I had escargot last year for the first time and really enjoyed it so when I found that I was like man that would be awesome!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Preferably something that stays small.
If. Your saying small I am guessing shrimp.......
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check american flag fish
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
If. Your saying small I am guessing shrimp.......
If thats the only thing that stays small sure haha. Not the type to show off anyways prefer to keep to myself. I'll check out the flagfish though. Know anyone that has some in stock?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
If thats the only thing that stays small sure haha. Not the type to show off anyways prefer to keep to myself. I'll check out the flagfish though. Know anyone that has some in stock?
You can get them from live aquaria.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Mile at pets plus has hard to come by but they are pretty rare and hearty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode