Mangrove - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Vox
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mangrove

I am looking to add mangrove seedlings to my freshwater and saltwater tanks. Does anyone have any, know of a store that sells them, or of a good place to harvest them myself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
I am looking to add mangrove seedlings to my freshwater and saltwater tanks. Does anyone have any, know of a store that sells them, or of a good place to harvest them myself?
Alawai canal. On a serious note. Lots available there
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I got mine off evilbay. Beware. They grow tediously slow. Have had mine for over a year and they have each have only 4 leaves and about a 4" root system that isn't that impressive.

If in doubt, add more plants!

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

Last edited by jeepguy; 06-01-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Edit

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Planted Member

I would see about getting young trees instead of seeds..they are pretty cheap. I paid $19 for about 15 10-12" ones with developed roots and a few leaves. Search for them on [email protected]

I just picked some young mangroves up and they are about 10" with a few leaves...does anyone have advice on how to plant these in a planted tank? My tank is taller than the plants right now so I should put them in a raised pot so that the tips are out of the water right?

- Garrett
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have read, If they put leaves up in salt water they will not acclimate to fresh water. It is best to buy seeds that have not bud or good chance they will die in freshwater.

My not-enough-plants-but-not-enough-space-to-put-anymore-so-will-start-going-up-box-of-water.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap10Squirty View Post
I would see about getting young trees instead of seeds..they are pretty cheap. I paid $19 for about 15 10-12" ones with developed roots and a few leaves. Search for them on [email protected]

I just picked some young mangroves up and they are about 10" with a few leaves...does anyone have advice on how to plant these in a planted tank? My tank is taller than the plants right now so I should put them in a raised pot so that the tips are out of the water right?

- Garrett
Grow the mangrove on driftwood or a pile of rock and let the roots hit the substrate. Had a tank with mangrove growing on my waterfall in my pond was pretty nice
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboss808 View Post
Alawai canal. On a serious note. Lots available there
Not just Alawai; Ala Moana, Sand Island, water way near China Town (if you're willing to sterilize yourself after going in that nasty bank water), and the industrial side near the air port. You can find pre rooted plants growing and they don't require a shovel to get up.

|||
|||
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cutting or harvesting mangroves that have roots are illegal because they r protected and result in heavy fines. If if they have already developed roots in salt water as mentioned they Have to remain in salt water as I mentioned earlier. If you want them in your planted tank you need to buy seeds or from someone who grew them in fresh water. Do some research and you will read this everywhere.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
Cutting or harvesting mangroves that have roots are illegal because they r protected and result in heavy fines. If if they have already developed roots in salt water as mentioned they Have to remain in salt water as I mentioned earlier. If you want them in your planted tank you need to buy seeds or from someone who grew them in fresh water. Do some research and you will read this everywhere.
Mangroves in Oahu are actually ripped up and removed by local DNR fairly regularly as they choke some of the waterways since they are an invasive species. The removal and preferred destruction to invasive species is something that is promoted by locals who aim to keep the natural species of flora and fauna and reduce the invasive species which destroy the environment or structures, in the case of fauna destroy or cause natural species to compete for food.

I bring back pods and rooted pods back regularly that I can access. All of the pods with roots were found in a salt environment and take a while to acclimate to freshwater.

Please do some research on how some plants impact environments as well as how the locals interact with them prior to jamming web jargon down peoples throats.

|||
|||

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode