Ordering fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ordering fish

I really want to order fish online. Has anyone hear order fish before? If so, was it hard and how do I obtain the permit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/95%)
To import? I see your in Hawaii so not really sure, someone else will though. Here it doesnt matter I get them in the mail all the time.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeeper01 View Post
I really want to order fish online. Has anyone hear order fish before? If so, was it hard and how do I obtain the permit?
Do your research on the particular fish you want making sure the department of agriculture deems it legal to import. You can go to online application of the department of Agriculture to apply for the permit or you can go down to the plant and animal branch down by the airport to submit your application in person. You can do a one time shipment for Xx dollars or yearly permit for xx there are other options too such as non listed animals permit for a higher price

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
you have to get a permit to order aquarium fish online? like neon tetras etc???!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
you have to get a permit to order aquarium fish online? like neon tetras etc???!!
Anything that could pose a threat to water not necessary the fish but the water it may come in. So YES everything "live" needs a permit. You can thank all the irresponsible people before us that messed it up.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

I know it sounds humbug, but would you really want to get hit with the fine/penalty? Per the Dept. of Ag's website, the max fine is $200K + costs of eradication, and the max sentence 3 years.

According to Ag's list of fees, the cost of a one-time import permit is $20, and for multi-use (1 year) permit, it's $100.

Eheim Pimp #70!

20G long: dwarf cichlids, sparkling gouramis, and a couple of kuhli loaches. 2 x 24W T5, DIY CO2, Eheim 2213.

75G: Cichlids, rainbows, gouramis, loaches, and tetras. 4 x 54W T5s + 2 x 55W PCs, pressurized CO2, Eheim 2213 & 2215
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow inever knew that well iguess iaint ever ordering online then lol
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the main aquarium fish distributors WILL NOT ship to Hawaii, no matter what. I've gone in circle with them, they just won't do it. Even if you did all the paperwork. You can work with some smaller fish breeders, you just need to have your paper ready before ordering. I've posted about this in the past.

Contact State Plant Quarantine Branch (Maritime Section) 808-832-0566 to get started.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Take fish out of the rivers and ponds. There's some nice wild livebearers there.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Take fish out of the rivers and ponds. There's some nice wild livebearers there.
If you plan to collect plants or animals you will need a permit (often completely free), please contact your island's DLNR first.

Check out a book "http://www.amazon.com/HawaiIs-Native-Exotic-Freshwater-Animals/dp/156647342X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395795624&sr=8-1&keywords=hawaiis+native+%26+exotic+freshwater+animals".

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERSF559 View Post
wow inever knew that well iguess iaint ever ordering online then lol
They're just talking about Hawaii. Not an issue for us on the mainland.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
They're just talking about Hawaii. Not an issue for us on the mainland.
ahhh isee thanks for the clarification! lol
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Anybody have the address for the new Hawaii DOA Conditional List. I'm having a hard time finding it.

Thanks
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Best bet is to order through a mom and pops fish lfs less hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Although I haven't ordered fish from the mainland I did look pretty extensively into the process. Here are a couple of links you can follow (credit to TPT member Morbo).

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/pq/import-program/
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hipping+hawaii

Click on the first link which will open the State of Hawaii Plant Industry Division page. Click on the Non-Domestic Animals and Microorganisms List near the bottom of the page. On the page that select AR-71C.PDF and this will open the list of Conditionally approved animals including many species of aquatic fish. For example search for Sword and you will find multiple instances with the Scientific Name and Common Name. You will see this is an extensive list. You are required to provide a copy of your permit for the Seller to include in the shipment and on the outside of the box it should be clearly marked "Contains Living Material: Please Open for Agricultural Inspection".

I did call and talk to an inspector and while a permit is required to import Fish it is not required for aquarium plants although the box still should be marked as stated above.

For fish websites you can check out Aquabid and be sure to check on the Sellers feedback for their rating.

For those with more knowledge you can correct me if I have stated something that is false.

Depending on your circumstances your best avenue might be ordering through a LFS as Charrr89 previously posted.

Bump: per the inspector be sure no snails, worms, shrimp and dirt (for plants) are included.

Last edited by rhiro; 11-23-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: correct semantics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode