Where to buy hardwood for cabinets locally? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Where to buy hardwood for cabinets locally?

I have a stand already but I wanted to make my own carbon copy of it with hardwood since it's the junky particle board... I ask at lowes n Home Depot but I feel like they don't wNt to help me because I'm a girl..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
They are idiots if they dont want to help a DIY girl!

HD has Poplar and Red Oak that should work but the widest board is 11.75" so you'd have to joint boards together; assuming you have the setup to do so.

I go to House OF Hardwoods on Ellis in Culver City, but that might be a bit far for you

Sent while on the go...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-
- 20G Grow Out Tank -
-
-
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Cabinets aren't usually built from wide boards. It would take pages here to explain, but if you want to build with 100% hardwoods, you need to glue up boards that aren't more than 4" wide and alternate the orientation of the growth rings, glue and clamp them and then plane and sand them down. It's not a a process for the faint of heart or somebody that's in a rush. Solid wide boards will cup badly over time.

You'll best be served by using cabinet-grade plywood that's veneered with the hardwood of your choice and add hardwood edging to the panel. The box stores will usually sell an oak or birch plywood. in a 3/4" plywood look for as many plys as you can get. Most are eight plys with the veneer over that. Better quality is usually available at a lumber yard.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Cabinets aren't usually built from wide boards. It would take pages here to explain, but if you want to build with 100% hardwoods, you need to glue up boards that aren't more than 4" wide and alternate the orientation of the growth rings, glue and clamp them and then plane and sand them down. It's not a a process for the faint of heart or somebody that's in a rush. Solid wide boards will cup badly over time.

You'll best be served by using cabinet-grade plywood that's veneered with the hardwood of your choice and add hardwood edging to the panel. The box stores will usually sell an oak or birch plywood. in a 3/4" plywood look for as many plys as you can get. Most are eight plys with the veneer over that. Better quality is usually available at a lumber yard.
Eggsactly. Solid wood isn't very stable. It is after all organic and shrinks and swells with humidity. Then you have to factor in cross grain gluing and how to keep a cabinet from tearing itself apart.
Quality cabinets are all plywood carcasses with a hardwood face frame. Shelves are dadoed into the sides for strength.
My library is all oak plywood with red oak face frames. Very very few metal fasteners. I only used screws where it was better for my schedule not for any strength. The wood will fail before the glue joint will.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cheap foreign furniture gave anything but hardwood a bad name. The reality is as the others mentioned that a good quality plywood makes a better cabinet. Plywood Hawaii has good shop-grade maple ply that can be used for hidden panels or even painted if you so choose. They also carry cabinet grade hardwood veneered plywood, available in numbered sheets which means the sheets are numbered as their cut from the veneer ensuring they'll match one another. Unless you've got all the tools to cut, joint, plane, etc hardwood it'd be tough to produce a quality cabinet out of hardwood. Better would be to make one out of construction grade lumber and face it with a quality ply or there are also so threads of those who've made ada style stands out of ply and painted or laminated them.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plywood Hawaii is where you want to go for fancy, but not too fancy hardwoods.

You might want to go with a something simple and use a veneer. You could get crazy (expensive) and contact a local cabinet maker.

If I had the money, I'd have a Koa cabinet for my tank.

Father of the Princess Zelda.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post

You might want to go with a something simple and use a veneer. You could get crazy (expensive) and contact a local cabinet maker.

Along these lines, a Koa veneer would be better. Plywood Hawaii carries Koa veneered plywood as well. Better utilization of the resource, the reason the Europeans have been making veneered furniture for over a centuries. You could also get nicer figure in a veneer. The curly/figured Koa is nice to look at but both hard to work and not as structurally sound.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
They are idiots if they dont want to help a DIY girl!

HD has Poplar and Red Oak that should work but the widest board is 11.75" so you'd have to joint boards together; assuming you have the setup to do so.

I go to House OF Hardwoods on Ellis in Culver City, but that might be a bit far for you

Sent while on the go...

Hahahhaahahaha thanks. Yeah I went to hd it was much nicer..., but I didn't care for the wood they showed me ... I think here in Hawaii we have higher price less quality supplies unless u know someone really good :/ plus they told me they can't cut it specific for me...
Plus about being a girl, I made sure to dress as planned and flirt with the manager in the wood department to get my wood all cut exactly. I'm still thinking my strategies so I don't make those guys sound like pigs.

Finnex member #14
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Hyrule View Post

I'll check it out. Hahah thanks

Finnex member #14
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check out recycle Hawaii down kakaako. They might have something you maybe looking for. They are cheap too
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Shoots.. I have a friend whose boyfriend works tbere

Finnex member #14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode