15 gallon set up ideas? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
15 gallon set up ideas?

Here's the story. I made the mistake of saying to my DH that I thought I might like to have some fish again. He mentioned it to a friend of his who does the backyard aquaponics and has bunches of small tanks that he's "outgrown", so he said that sure, I could have one, he'd be glad to get rid of it. My birthday came around shortly after that, and I'd kind of moved fish-getting onto the backburner because of the rest of life getting in the way. DH and I want to go out for dinner for my birthday, so the friend offers to babysit my Stepkids for the evening. When we come back to retrieve them, of course they're bringing a fishtank home... With four fish. Two tilapia (from the stock that Friend raises to eat) and two convict cichlids... in a fifteen gallon tank. At this point, they're about 1.5" each, except the smaller convict, so I figure I have some time. And then... They Grow. So now I have Greta Garbo, the smaller convict who hasn't grown very much at all; Mel Gibson, the larger, more bullying convict who gets bigger every day it seems; and a pair of Aquatic Turkeys that I would have much preferred stayed with the Friend to end up in a taco. The tilapia and Mel are coming up on 3" each, if not larger.

We recently got ourselves a new, nice setup, 37 gal with a stand and a proper tank cover and lighting and a couple plants that the LFS said might withstand the destructive fish I have and all that jazz. It's currently being cycled, fishlessly, although I did throw in a handful of tiny snails from the LFS just to see what would happen. Mel will probably kill them when he gets introduced in a couple of weeks.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone have any ideas for this little tank? Step-son has expressed interest in Angelfish, but everything I read says that 15 is too small (even though I recall as a child keeping an Angelfish in a 15 gal community tank with no problem, but maybe it was a small variety?)

I, personally, was thinking about a betta fish with a few other small community fish. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, if anyone has any Nerite snails that they want to get rid of, I'm interested. I guess you can't import them? I'm new to the islands, only been here about six months.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM
Algae Grower

Bettas are nice. I've always wanted one of those black orchid Bettas. Don't know where you can get them here though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmonsta13 View Post
Bettas are nice. I've always wanted one of those black orchid Bettas. Don't know where you can get them here though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've always thought bettas were just cool in general, but I was always worried that if I got one it would just croak from sitting around in a tiny cup forever so I never risked it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonmudskipper View Post
I've always thought bettas were just cool in general, but I was always worried that if I got one it would just croak from sitting around in a tiny cup forever so I never risked it.

I have a crowntail betta right now. The only betta I've ever owned. I like him. They're much more interesting in a tank. They look pretty boring in cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
How bout shrimps lol or even guppies basic and easy to keep. Maybe go with some tetras some rummy nose, cherry barbs or even rainbow forktails
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
A betta is nice idea, i personnally like halfmoon bettas. If u really want simple cheap and nice fish, then white clouds (bang for your buck and good in planted tanks)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode