Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2

Hey I'm thinking about upgrading my diy co2 to pressurized on my 10 gal. Should I go with a paintball setup or a 2.5 lb tank?

Where's a good place to buy a 2.5 tank and a regulator for pretty cheap. I was thinking about checking out oahu fire. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Gaspro has the 2.5 gallon tanks.. I saw a cheap regulator on ebayflr $30...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finnex member #14
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think in the long run, the paintball set-up would be easier & cheaper way to go. CO2 regulators can be adapted to paintball cylinders with adapters, tanks are cheaper and easier to fill.

Eheim Pimp #540
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

Last edited by BeastMaster; 11-05-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: grammar

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm probably going to run down to a paintball/air soft store this week to see if they have paintball regulators. I'm thinking paintball might be the way to go because I'm kind of short on space
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There usually less than $20 for a 20 oz cylinder. (check Sports Authority too for tanks & fills). Paintball regulators range $90-$150 online. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
There usually less than $20 for a 20 oz cylinder. (check Sports Authority too for tanks & fills). Paintball regulators range $90-$150 online. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recently checked... When I went they were out of pb cans and it costs 40 for a 20oz

Finnex member #14
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
I recently checked... When I went they were out of pb cans and it costs 40 for a 20oz
Oops. Sorry, meant to say under $20 for 20oz tank on Amazon. Brought up Sports Authority cause that's where I fill my tanks.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't waste your time on a paintball setup, keep an eye on craigslist for used 5lb or 20lb. Stay away from 2.5 lb tanks, last fill up cost me $60 at gaspro (ready to toss this tank). You can exchange 20lb tanks at the hydroponics store across kahala mall for $40 or something, and it will last you forever.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/grd/4148280503.html
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_sponsored View Post
Don't waste your time on a paintball setup, keep an eye on craigslist for used 5lb or 20lb. Stay away from 2.5 lb tanks, last fill up cost me $60 at gaspro (ready to toss this tank). You can exchange 20lb tanks at the hydroponics store across kahala mall for $40 or something, and it will last you forever.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/grd/4148280503.html
I like this guys thinking. Why work your way up to a 10-20 gallon tank just go large in the long run u will be satisfied and the the refill time is way less unless u run 2-3 tanks.

I have a 10 lb tank it's so far lasted me 3 months and it's 60% full
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The only problem for me is I don't think I have space for a 5# tank. The cost between a 2.5 and 5 or 10 doesn't really matter to me I just don't have room lol
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Same here. Space and having the support equipment for 5 nano tanks hidden and or blend with the decor in my "man cave" are what I have to deal with. Paintball set-ups work well for me. Next step in CO2 injection is to eliminate seeing in-tank diffusers. Will be trying out an in-line diffuser/atomizer on my 12L project when DSM is complete and I can flood. Have fun with it.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had that problem too but it was the best investment I had ever made. Make room for a 3' high and 1' in diameter space is not hard to make maybe longer silicone lines but that's all
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
Same here. Space and having the support equipment for 5 nano tanks hidden and or blend with the decor in my "man cave" are what I have to deal with. Paintball set-ups work well for me. Next step in CO2 injection is to eliminate seeing in-tank diffusers. Will be trying out an in-line diffuser/atomizer on my 12L project when DSM is complete and I can flood. Have fun with it.
Where did u pick up ur paintball adapter?? I seen some for $20 but I'm wondering can u then it off and on?? Cuz. Don't want c02 leaking all the time..

Finnex member #14
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrr89 View Post
Where did u pick up ur paintball adapter?? I seen some for $20 but I'm wondering can u then it off and on?? Cuz. Don't want c02 leaking all the time..
Hi Charr, I got all 3 of mine from Amazon. I think there called CGA 320 adapters. The last time I bought one, they were $16-$17. These were used with my AquaticLife regulators. My Aquatek mini regulator is made for paintball tanks. Good luck.

Eheim Pimp #540
Finnex Member #11
ADA Gentleman #6

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Regulators for sale

Aloha All,

Not sure if you all saw this, but I was checking the For Sale listing and saw a bunch of GREAT regulators for really cheap! Cheap is a relative term, I guess, but these units are gonna serve you for DECADES!!! There was one unit that was built by bettatail and I can honestly say that his stuff is first class. You get what you pay for, but like I said, it ain't gonna give out on ya. Just a recommendation, if you've got live stuff in your tank (scrimps and/or fish), you might want to stay away from the single stage regulator. It's cheaper, but when the tank gets lot, it might dump the contents and gas everything in the tank (I lost a whole much of pseudomugils this way. Trust me, better to learn from my mistake! It was costly enough for one person to go through).

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=474577

I hope that this helps!
BikerCarl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode